A family was forced to flee their home after a fire ripped through their kitchen.

Two parents had to quickly usher their young children out of the property on Langtry Crescent, Bursledon, on Monday at around 7pm.

Burning food on the hob triggered a smoke alarm and the family fled - calling 999.

The four were treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation. They were taken to hospital as a precaution.

Wearing breathing apparatus, firefighters from Hightown and Bishop’s Waltham used hose reels and jets to extinguish the blaze which caused heavy smoke damage in the kitchen.

Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service have issued a warning to the public not to leave the kitchen unattended while cooking, to respond immediately to the sounding of your smoke alarm, and when doing so evacuate the property, remaining outside to dial 999.