On the day Southampton was officially granted city status, the Daily Echo newspaper looked very different to how it does today - it was black and white for a start.

Cinema adverts dominated page two with Atherley and Woolston featuring movies such as From Russia With Love starring Sean Connery, Frank Sinatra's Come Blow Your Horn, and The Monster of Piedras Blancas with Don Sullivan.

Among the memorable and timeless films on show was also The Pink Panther starring David Niven at Odeon.

On the news pages, Hampshire was experiencing trouble with teachers – a lack of them and schools, both being claimed to be rationed by the Ministry of Education.

The shortage of teachers in Hampshire led to overcrowded classrooms and increased pressure on existing educators.

Daily Echo: Advert for the movie From Russia With Love.

Parents and students were concerned about the impact this would have on the quality of education in the region.

Calls were made for the Ministry of Education to address the issue promptly and provide adequate support.

From the classroom to the courtroom, the Daily Echo featured coverage - as they always have - of the cases being heard in court.

Two young men and one 15-year-old boy were also charged with breaking into Southampton School of Art and Green-Lane Boys' School. They were suspected of stealing biscuits from one and a stopwatch and cash from the other.

Nora Reynolds of Swaythling was fined £15 for her part in the theft of a TV set from GF Rentals Limited. If she was unable to pay within 14 days, she would face one-month imprisonment.

Daily Echo: Advert for the movie Come Blow Your Horn.

The TV had been loaned to Reynolds on trial, but when a representative of the company called to collect the set, they were told somebody had already been to pick it up.

A 37-year-old man was charged with stealing clothes and obtaining money under false pretences - all from the same woman.

Other court stories that day included a dog attack and three cases of dangerous driving.

Elsewhere in the newspaper, Charles Knott Snr announced he had not abandoned plans to bring back greyhound racing and speedway to Southampton a year after Bannister Stadium had closed.

As time has told - this never happened.

Daily Echo: Aerial shot of Southampton Stadium (Banister Court Stadium) and the Hampshire County Cricket Ground. 1958. THE SOUTHERN DAILY ECHO ARCHIVES. HAMPSHIRE HERITAGE SUPPLEMENT. Ref: 10664.

In other news, Dr Horace King, MP for Southampton Itchen at the time, described Sunday cinemas as the “abomination of abominations”.

The former Taunton's School teacher and once-headteacher of Regent's Park School would likely be horrified by the age of 24-hour movie streaming we now find ourselves in.

While Dr King was ranting about movies on a Sunday, Pirelli’s new factory was taking shape in Eastleigh.

Although the Southampton works remained open until 1990, work began to be wound down in the 1960s and changes were gradually implemented.

In international news, Queen Elizabeth II was advised not to travel to Quebec, Canada, because of a possible attempt on her life from separatists.

Daily Echo: A worker at Pirelli cables, Southampton

The then-reigning monarch was planning a trip to Canada in 1964 for the centennial of two 1864 pre-Confederation conferences in Charlottetown and Quebec City. But in Quebec, some were siding with separation.

However, despite the warnings, the Queen made her trip in October that year.

And, as with any newspaper, there were tales of tragedy.

David Eckton, 22, of Somerset Avenue, Bitterne, was killed instantly when a rally sports car, of which he was the navigator, crashed.

The accident occurred on the road between Stoney Cross Aerodrome and Linwood.

Daily Echo: Coverage of the Saints match away to Scunthorpe.

The car was being driven by Nicholas Carter, 28, of King George's Avenue, Millbrook, taking part in a rally organised by the Castle Motor Club of Winchester.

In a separate incident, Edwin Alexander Andrew Patt, 60, of Shirley Road, collapsed and died at the bar of the Park Hotel, Shirley Road, the evening before.

He was taken by ambulance to the Royal South Hants Hospital but was already dead. It is thought he had suffered a heart attack.

The sports department reported that Saints had only won narrowly in an away fixture by weathering a barrage of determined attacks from a struggling Scunthorpe trying to desperately salvage a point.

Jack Brownsword, who had been at Scunthorpe since 1947 and was one of the oldest players in the game, had never scored a goal for his side, except for from the penalty spot.

But Saints keeper Tony Godfrey was found off his line as Brownsword gained possession of the ball nearly 40 yards out before lobbing it over him.

A goal from John McGuigan just 30 seconds into the game and a header from Martin Chivers that found the back of the net ensured Saints emerged victorious with a 2-1 win in the Division Two clash played at The Old Show Ground.