A woman who was found dead outside a Southampton tower block feared she would go to jail over unpaid fines, an inquest was told.

Kim Baker, 52, fell from Havre Towers on International Way, in Weston, on April 10, 2023.

Officers launched a murder investigation and arrested her 52-year-old partner Terry on suspicion of murder. He was released with no action following ‘extensive’ police enquiries.

Daily Echo: Police at International Way, WestonPolice at International Way, Weston (Image: Newsquest)

Winchester Coroner’s Court yesterday heard how Ms Baker had a ‘challenging life’ as she battled with anxiety and paranoia in the months leading up to her death.

Statements from family and residents were read out in court. Ms Baker was said to be ‘extremely paranoid’ while on anti-depressants and anxiety medication.

It was also heard she would often think birds were watching her.

She also feared people were controlling the lifts in the block of flats where she lived.

Ms Baker feared Terry - with whom she was in a relationship for five years - would lock her out of the flat, the court heard.

The inquest heard Ms Baker's daughter told police Terry had 'played mind games' with her mother.

Daily Echo: Coroners Court in WinchesterCoroners Court in Winchester (Image: Newsquest)

Her son Gary Tanner said two days before her death worried that she would go to prison for unpaid fines.

In a statement read out in court, he said: “She was panicking she was going to prison because of her fines. I told her that everything was going to be fine and that she wasn’t going to prison.”

Her sister Lorna Ford added: “She would talk to the birds and shout at strangers who would look towards her. She was terrified.”

Weeks after having previously attempted to take her own life, she fell from the sixth floor at Havre Towers.

Christopher Wilkinson, Senior Coroner for Hampshire, said Kim had a ‘challenging life’ and over her last year ‘had gotten progressively worse’.

He said: “Given the evidence that has been given to me the relationship that Kim was did have an impact on her.”

He said that ‘there was an element of gaslight and coercive behaviour’ but it was not clear it had a direct result in her ending her own life.

He concluded her death was a suicide and said she ‘deliberately’ fell after suffering an “acute anxiety crisis and increased paranoia” in the moments before she died.

Mr Wilkinson added his ‘sincere condolences’ and hoped the inquest would provide the family with some answers to what had happened.

  • Call Samaritans on 116 123 for support.