A smoking laptop charger led to a Southampton primary school being closed for the day.

Yesterday morning, parents of pupils at Mansbridge Primary School were told by text that the school would be shut.

Fire crews from St Mary’s, Eastleigh, and Redbridge were alerted at approximately 7.30am and went to Octavia Road after reports of a ‘strong smell of smoke’ coming from inside the school premises.

Firefighters used high-tech equipment to find the laptop charger, which was pouring smoke.

A spokesperson for Hampshire and Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service said: “Firefighters used thermal imaging cameras before locating a smouldering laptop charging unit which had caused light smoke throughout the building.

"Ventilation fans were used to clear the smoke and the air-quality was checked with specialist equipment, before firefighters handed the building back to on-site staff.”

They added: "Hampshire and Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service left the scene and returned to station at around 8.30am."

READ MORE: Grey seal pup born on Beaulieu River is Hampshire's first

Laptop chargers can be prone to overheat when exposed to high temperatures or left turned on for a significant period of time.

No injuries were reported and the school reassured parents and students that Mansbridge Primary would reopen this morning.

A spokesperson from the school informed parents: "Following the incident this morning as detailed below we are pleased to inform you school will be open as usual tomorrow, Thursday, February 29.

"At around 7.30am this morning Hampshire Fire and Rescue attended Mansbridge Primary School to deal with a smouldering laptop circuit board.

“The incident was swiftly dealt with by the emergency services.”

They added: "As a precaution, the school was closed to allow some smoke to clear from the affected area to ensure the safety of children and staff."