A mother's concerns about the health of her unborn baby were ignored by midwives at an NHS maternity unit made famous by an award-winning TV show, an inquest has been told.

Steph Sherwood alleged complications she had experienced with two previous pregnancies were not 'taken into consideration' resulting in the death of her baby girl.

The Hampshire County Council worker said she told midwives of her concerns that her bump was not growing and that she could not feel her unborn child moving.

UPDATED: Princess Anne Hospital baby died of 'natural causes,' coroner rules

She told a coroner that if her history - including previously suffering a stillbirth and a miscarriage - had been reviewed by the health workers caring for her then her daughter Phoebe "would be here today".

Winchester Coroners Court was told Mrs Sherwood was "anxious" throughout her whole pregnancy having lost two previous babies.

The expectant mum said "things started to go wrong" when she noticed the "same pattern" of events during her fourth pregnancy as she had in the past.

The inquest heard that despite voicing her concerns to midwives at Princess Anne Hospital in Southampton - where Channel 4's series One Born Every Minute was filmed - an "anxious and aware" Mrs Sherwood was reportedly told that "it was okay" and no further action was taken.

After being born prematurely in February 2022, 'Little Phoebe' died aged just two days old and her parents are now alleging that if Mrs Sherwood's concerns were looked at the infant may have survived.

Opening the hearing, area coroner Rosamund Rhodes-Kemp said: "Little Phoebe was born on February 10 and she very sadly died a couple of days later."

The inquest heard the infant was born with "no heartbeat" and a "poor prognosis" meaning she died just two days later, with her parents by her side.

She said "mum had complications" having lost two babies in the past therefore was considered a "high-risk pregnancy" and required "additional monitoring".

Mrs Rhodes-Kemp said: "The family had concerns that if Mum's worries were looked at then Phoebe may have survived."

In a statement read out to court, Mrs Sherwood - who attended the hearing with husband Karl - said she fell pregnant for the first time in 2015.

The mother said whilst she was considered a 'low-risk pregnancy' her own mother had previously suffered two stillbirths and four miscarriages.

In August 2016, the expectant mother "gave birth to a stillborn baby" and the following year, her second pregnancy "ended in a miscarriage".

Mrs Sherwood gave birth again in 2019 to a girl and two years later became pregnant again.

Mrs Sherwood said: "My fourth pregnancy was with Phoebe.

"No one could say what could have happened but I believe that if my whole history was reviewed then things started to go wrong then she would be here today."

On February 10, Mrs Sherwood went to the hospital for a CTG scan to check the baby's heartbeat and she told her midwife about her pregnancy concerns.

Despite her worries, Mrs Sherwood was sent home for the rest of the day but was due to return later on that day as an in-patient so she could receive regular scans.

She said: "Because of my history I felt like it was safer to be in hospital, if they noticed something they could act quickly and having two CTGs in a day made me feel better.

Giving evidence, Mrs Sherwood said: "[The midwife] measured my bump and I said I was always measuring two weeks ahead.

"When I was measuring exactly as I should, that was slow growth. I said the bump had slowed.

"But the midwife said she couldn't send me to another one because they had to be two weeks apart.

"Because I was measuring at 32 weeks - which is what I should be - she wasn't worried because this is how I should be measuring.

"It worried me because of what had happened in 2016... that's how it started.

"I feel like maybe if I had more monitoring from them then I don't know if things would have happened quicker. If they noticed the growth was slowing they might have brought her out earlier."

The expectant mother said she also told midwives she could no longer feel the baby moving.

Mrs Sherwood told the inquest: "I said I didn't feel any movement and the midwife said that it was okay, we look at other things.

"I feel like if they had kept me on the trace, it would have been picked up how she should have been.

"It was the same pattern so I just felt like it was reoccurring."

Having spent several hours at home, the mother returned to the hospital at around 7pm that day.

Soon after she returned, Mrs Sherwood underwent an emergency caesarean section and Phoebe was born with no heartbeat and in a 'poor condition'.

Phoebe died two days later.

Providing evidence to the court, Consultant Obstetrician & Gynaecologist, Patrick Forbes, said the case surrounding the infant's death is 'confusing and complex'.

Discussing whether Mrs Sherwood should have been sent home, he said: "With the history of absent foetal movement, whilst it would still have been acceptable to allow Mrs Sherwood home, I think she would, or should have been, allowed to come in sooner - unless she started feeling movement while away from the hospital."

The inquest continues.