A man who stabbed a chef in a row at a restaurant has been jailed and branded a 'danger to the public'.

Jaypal Khaira, 33, stabbed chef Austin Whithorne when an argument broke out at Jerk Pan on Commercial Road, Southampton.

He left the victim with nerve damage after plunging a knife into his leg. Mr Whithorne had tried to calm Khaira down as he was arguing with a cashier.

As reported, Khaira went around the premises and into the kitchen and Mr Whithorne then tried to prevent him from going back to the serving area.

Daily Echo: Jaypal Khaira grabs a knife following a row at Jerk Pan in Southampton (Image: CPS)Jaypal Khaira grabs a knife following a row at Jerk Pan in Southampton (Image: CPS) (Image: CPS)

READ MORE: Customer found guilty of stabbing chef after dispute over change

During this dispute Khaira “stabbed him in the leg causing him an unpleasant injury”, Southampton Crown Court was told.

Jailing Khaira for eight years, Judge Henry said he is a “danger to the public” who is prepared to “resort to violence very quickly”.

The judge said it was only by luck that more serious injuries were not caused.

Addressing the defendant, of The Polygon, Southampton, he said: “This is a case, where the public does need protecting.”

Prosecutor Andrew Houston said the victim has since moved to London after giving up his job as the attack “played on his mind” and was "conscious in the kitchen of where people are and what people are doing”.

He added that the incident, which left Mr Whithorne with nerve damage, also had a financial impact on him as he was unable to work while injured.Daily Echo: Jaypal Khaira outside Southampton Crown CourtJaypal Khaira outside Southampton Crown Court (Image: NQ)

READ MORE: 'He had me in a chokehold' claims man accused of stabbing chef after row

Mitigating, Francisca Da Costa said: “There is remorse and understanding of the impact the incident had had on the victim.”

She said he worked very hard and had been employed for two years and “his life has got back on track and he has been seeing his daughter".

She added: “There is stability, and he is behaving in a lawful way”.

A probation report described Khaira in a pre-sentence report as someone who “lacks judgement and acts before he thinks”.

Khaira will be eligible for release after serving five years. He was convicted by a jury of wounding with intent after denying the charge.

Detective Constable Callum Whitehouse, who led the investigation, said: “Khaira’s actions that evening were reckless and extremely concerning.

"Thankfully, the victim did not sustain serious injuries however just a few millimetres difference and he would likely have been in a life threatening condition.

“I hope that today’s sentence sends out a clear message that violence of any kind will not be tolerated in Southampton and we will do everything we can to bring those responsible to justice.”