A "lonely" pensioner who exposed himself to two teenagers after following them home in a New Forest park claims he was “tricked”.

Brian Curtis indecently exposed himself to the two boys having followed them from a park in Blackfield.

Southampton Crown Court heard how in May last year, the boys, aged 11 and 13, had been in the park with their friends playing and hanging around.

As the group of friends began to leave, they spotted the then-86-year-old walking nearby, and approached him and asked him to take a selfie.

Daily Echo: Brian Curtis leaving Southampton Crown CourtBrian Curtis leaving Southampton Crown Court (Image: NQ, Jose Ramos)

As the group were leaving, Curtis asked the boys if he should follow them – with one replying no but another jokingly saying yes, prosecutor Keely Harvey told the court.

He followed them and once they realised this, the court heard the boys started to “panic a little”.

They then stopped an unknown lady in the street who told them to take a different route.

After some time of not seeing him, they then returned to see if the man was still there. Curtis then told them to “put the cameras away”.

After this, the court heard the man “unzipped his trousers and showed his penis”, then telling the boys “you have to do the same”.

Ms Harvey said: “They were both very young, 11 and 13, and they walked away again and Mr Curtis followed still.

“When they asked him why he was following them he said it was on his way back home.”

The boys then approached another lady walking by and warned her of what had happened.

Daily Echo: Brian Curtis leaving Southampton Crown CourtBrian Curtis leaving Southampton Crown Court (Image: NQ, Jose Ramos)

Curtis allegedly claimed to her that "the boys offered to show their penis if he showed his first", Ms Harvey said.

The police were called after this, and the court was told how Curtis claimed he had “been tricked”.

Mitigating, Audrey Archer, told the court the now 87-year-old “wishes to stress to the court that the boys had approached him and wanted photos with him".

She continued: "He made no attempt to approach them first.

“He crossed boundaries that day and behaved in a way that was entirely inappropriate.”

Ms Archer said that in her discussions with Curtis, who lives on his own at Hampton Lane in Blackfield, has always been “quite frank and candid” and what happened to him had an effect on him.

However Judge Brian Forster KC said: “Whatever occurred in the conversation there can be no justification for what you did. Children are children. Adults have to own the responsibility.”

He added: “Your behaviour was shocking. Your behaviour must not be repeated.”

Curtis was handed a 15-month imprisonment sentence suspended for two years and will be required to register on the sex offenders’ list for 10 years as well as carry out 45 days of rehabilitation.

He was also given a two-year exclusion banning him from returning to return to the park.