A murder investigation into a man’s death in the city centre has been dropped by police.

No further action will be taken against a 54-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murder.

He was quizzed by officers after the sudden death of a man at a property in Queens Terrace.

READ MORE: Queens Terrace, Southampton murder probe: What we know so far

Officers were called shortly before 8.45am on Sunday to a report of a 'man requiring medical attention', police said.

Emergency services attended, but the 42-year-old man from Southampton was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.

Initially, his death was being treated as suspicious - prompting the arrest and a large section of Queens Terrace being cordoned off.

On Monday, police went public with a witness appeal and lifted the cordon - but officers were still seen on patrol and carrying out enquiries.

At the time, Detective Inspector Howard Broadribb, who was leading the investigation, said: "Our thoughts remain with the family of the man who has died and specialist officers are supporting them as our enquiries progress.

"Officers will remain in the area over the coming days as we continue our work to understand the exact circumstances of what has taken place."

The incident shocked the community - with one person telling the Echo it was ‘awfully sad that somebody had died.’

One woman, who has worked at a business on Queens Terrace for three years, said: "It’s really surprising that this has gone on round here - it’s certainly not something that happens often."

Now, officers investigating the case have deemed the 42-year-old man's death as 'unexplained' - but the circumstances are no longer being treated as suspicious.

A report will be prepared for the coroner.

A spokesman for the force said: "Following extensive enquiries carried out by officers in connection with the sudden death of a man in Southampton on Sunday morning (12 May), no further action will be taken against a 54-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murder in connection with the incident."