The dramatic moment a Gosport man detonated an explosive in front of police officers as they demanded he ‘put the gun down’ has been revealed as police released body-worn footage.

Police shouted at Damian Mazurkiewicz after they raided his home on August 8 last year for an unrelated matter.

Officers burst into the address where they found Mazurkiewicz holding an imitation firearm.

The 54-year-old was challenged by officers before he pressed a trigger switch which he was holding at the address in Carr Court, Davenport Close, Gosport.

Footage shared of the raid carried out by the policeFootage shared of the raid carried out by the police (Image: Hampshire Police)

The footage, shared by the Hampshire Police Federation, shows officers bursting into the property before warning Mazurkiewicz to put the gun down.

“Put the gun down, do it now”, officers are seen repeatedly telling the Gosport man.

Following this, the 54-year-old pressed a trigger switch he had in his hands resulting in a burst of black smoke being released from a black box before being tasered by officers.

The stand-off between Mazurkiewicz and the police that dayThe stand-off between Mazurkiewicz and the police that day (Image: Hampshire Police)

The dramatic stand-off saw nearby residents having to be evacuated from their homes on the bank holiday weekend while the Royal Navy's Explosive Ordnance Disposal team attended to make the device safe.

The footage was released by the Hampshire Police Federation as the officers involved have been nominated for the National Police Bravery Awards.

READ MORE: Man set off explosive device strapped to his chest in front of police officers

It then shows the man being dragged out of the house before being arrested.

Mazurkiewicz, of Davenport Close in Gosport, was subsequently charged with doing an act with intent to cause an explosion likely to endanger life or damage property, and use of an imitation firearm to resist arrest on the first day of the trial.

He was jailed for four years and three months, with an additional extended license period of three years, for the offences in addition to two counts of breaching a restraining order on May 8 at Portsmouth Crown Court.

Inspector Sam Warne praised the “quick and decisive actions” taken by the officers on the day which saw the area brought back to some normality late in the evening.

Chief Inspector Chris Spellerberg, District Commander for Fareham and Gosport also praised the “professionalism and courage” of the officers that day.

Adding: “From a routine deployment this quickly escalated into an incident which could have caused serious injury to them and the community.

"Our officers ran towards danger, put their own lives at risk to protect those of their colleagues and the public.”