Police in Southampton have arrested a 13-year-old boy after six schools received bomb hoaxes.

Half a dozen schools in the city received a bomb threat either via telephone call or voicemail through the night on Tuesday and early on Wednesday morning.

They turned out to be hoaxes after a police investigation.

Two of the schools were forced to close and others had to evacuate as police carried out "extensive area searches" of each school.

READ MORE: All we know about Southampton school bomb hoaxes

Today, Hampshire Constabulary has confirmed that officers have arrested a 13-year-old boy on suspicion of communicating false information by means of a bomb hoax.

He has since been released from custody on bail until 26 September pending further police enquiries.

Superintendent Phil Lamb, Southampton District Commander, said: "We understand the undue worry and concern that yesterday’s news would have caused in the community – especially among the students and the parents of those affected.

"It is clear that the incident had a wide-ranging impact within the community.

"Thankfully, it was very quickly established by our officers that these were not a credible threat and this was communicated to school leader’s at the first available opportunity to provide further reassurance.

"As always, we want to thank the local schools, local community and local stakeholders for their patience and co-operation as part of our enquiries and investigation."

READ MORE: Headteacher speaks out after school affected by bomb hoax

The six schools affected by the threats were: Bitterne Park School, Banister Park School, Regents Park Community College, St Anne’s Catholic Girl’s Secondary School, Weston Secondary School and Saint George Catholic College.

At Saint George Catholic College in Leaside Way, Swaythling, the bomb threat was made to the school reception at 8.15am.

According to headteacher James Habberley, they immediately contacted the police and evacuated the building.

On one of the hottest days of the year, students who had already arrived were evacuated on the back field while waiting for further advice from police.

Speaking to the Echo, Mr Habberley said yesterday morning: "All of our students were kept in the shade, given water and access to the toilet. They will now be returning back to their normal lessons."

The mother of two students at Saint George - one in year seven and one in year nine - added: "I received a text message from my son that said there had been a bomb threat at the school.

"As any parent I quickly got dressed and drove straight up here to make sure everything was okay."

She added: "I’m glad everything is okay now and the students are back to normal."