Friday, March 14: Hannah spent the evening at pubs in Bevois Valley, Southampton. After leaving a friend at a bus stop, she set off on the short walk home to Grosvenor Road, Portswood, but never arrived.

At 22.43 she is last seen on CCTV.

At 22.50 she leaves her friend Helen Wilkinson at the bus stop and begins the 500 yard walk home.

At 23.00 Hampshire police control room receives a call from Hannah's mobile phone in which Hannah is silent but Kohli can be heard speaking and the noise of an engine is heard.

March 15: A massive search is launched in Southampton and Portsmouth after Hannah's dad reports her missing at 10.35 am.

March 16: Detectives in the major crime department receive a call to say a body has been found. Hannah is found in undergrowth in Allington Lane, West End. The police investigation becomes a murder inquiry.

March 17: A post mortem examination confirms Hannah had been strangled. Her mobile phone and bag are found in a refuse recycling plant in Portsmouth at 12.25pm.

March 18: Kohli flees the country on a plane from Heathrow at 0845.

Meanwhile, about 150 people attended a vigil held for Hannah at Highfield Church, Highfield.

March 19: Hannah's parents, Hilary and Trevor Foster, appeal for help in catching their daughter's killer at a press conference held at the Chilworth Hotel, Southampton. A man was arrested but later released.

March 20: Police reveal a 999 call had been made from Hannah's mobile phone just ten minutes after she was last seen alive.

March 21: A massive search is carried out along a two-mile stretch of Allington Lane in the hope of uncovering clues about Hannah's killer.

March 23: A film crew from the BBC's Crimewatch UK reconstruct Hannah's last known movements.

March 24: Detectives reveal there had been a sexual motive behind Hannah's kidnap and murder.

March 26: The Crimewatch UK reconstruction is screened and police receive 87 calls.

March 27: A call is made to police naming Kohli, by his former boss at 2.10pm. Officers swoop on a city industrial estate and a private address in Southampton. His van is seized at 3.13pm. An all ports warning is issued but inquiries reveal Kohli had left the country nine days earlier.

March 28: Police continue inquiries both at Empress Park industrial estate, St Denys, and Kohli's home in Broadlands Road, Swaythling. Kohli's wife Shaninder Kaur is interviewed.

In India, Kohli speaks to his wife by phone and decides to leave his family home and go on the run.

April 2: DNA tests from swabs from Kohli's wife and children provide a link.

April 3: A warrant for Kohli's arrest is issued by Southampton magistrates on the grounds of murder, kidnap, false imprisonment, rape, manslaughter and perverting the course of justice.

April 8: The warrant is faxed to the authorities in India, via Interpol.

April 11: Hannah's funeral service takes place at Highfield Church, followed by a private cremation. Pupils at Cantell School, Bassett, where Hannah had been a pupil, release 200 white balloons in her memory.

April 26: The Daily Echo reveal the Indian equivalent of the FBI has been drafted in to help track down Kohli.

April 30: A team of three Hampshire police officers fly out to India to liase with police, Interpol and the British High Commission.

May 6: Relatives of Kohli in India plead for the 35yearold to give himself up. Hampshire police finally name Kohli as their prime suspect, following a front page Daily Echo article.

May 8: Detectives in Southampton quiz Kohli's wife, Shalinder Kaur, for a second time about his disappearance.

May 9: Shalinder, 33, issues a statement through Hampshire police, urging her husband to give himself up.

May 13: The team of Hampshire officers return from India, having spent nearly two weeks helping the authorities cut through red tape.

June 5: Det Supt Betts admits that tracking down Hannah's suspected killer was now down to the Indian authorities and effectively out of their hands.

June 11: The Indian police chief leading the hunt for Kohli sends a message of confidence to Hannah's family, promising: "We will catch him". Deputy Inspector General Dinkar Gupta gives his word the fugitive would be caught and brought to justice.

June 12: Officials at the British High Commission in Dehli publicly pledged to help police track down Kohli.

June 28: The father of prime suspect Kohli declares his son is innocent. Harjit Singh reveals that his son did fly to India days before the discovery of Hannah's body to visit his mother who was in a coma after falling from a bus.

July 10: Hampshire police confirm that Shalinder Kaur, 33, would not be charged in connection with the disappearance of her husband, Maninder Pal Singh Kohli.

August 31: On what would have been Hannah's 18th birthday Det Supt Alan Betts reaffirms his belief that Kohli will be caught.

September 2: A team of officers led by Alan Betts makes a second trip to the Punjab to observe the investigation by Indian officers.

September 11: Hampshire officers meet with the Indian equivalent of the FBI, the Indian Central Bureau of Investigation, to discuss the progress with the case so far. The meeting comes as a new digitally enhanced photo of Kohli is released showing him wearing a turban and having a fuller beard.

September 12: A reward for information leading to the capture of prime suspect Kohli is put up by Hampshire police. The sum of £7,000 is matched by a national newspaper.

September 21: Hampshire detectives return from the Punjab praising the efforts of their counterparts.

October 8: The Home office is said to be considering plans for a station to be opened in India in an effort to help crime busting in the UK. The idea is welcomed by Det Supt Betts who said such a project would help with investigations like the manhunt of Kohli.


January 16: Reward for information leading to the capture of Kohli is increased to £70,000 the equivalent of five million rupees.

January 21: Rumours circulate that Kohli has fled across the border to Kathmandu, a claim police deny. Hampshire police say there is nothing to support the theory that Kohli has gone across the border to Nepal.

February 2: David Blunkett visits the Pubjab region and personally thanks police for their help in trying to capture Maninder Pal Singh Kohli March 14: First anniversary of Hannah's death.

June 4: Indian police chief visits Southampton and tells the Daily Echo his officers have identified a telephone were Kohli called home to his family in UK.

July 10: Hannah's parents fly to India with Alan Betts to make media appeals and launch a phone hotline.

July 14: The call centre is opened and manned by a team in India, who receive a flurry of calls.

July 15: Kohli is arrested in Kalimpong region as he attempts to flee to Nepal. He gives false names including Dennis Tracey, Mike Davis and Mike Dennis.

July 29: eports that Kohli's brothers have been arrested over claims they allegedly helped him while he was on the run in India.

October 1: Extradition proceedings begin in Delhi court.


July 2005: Hampshire detectives fly back to India and distribute the reward among several people who called in to reveal Kohli's whereabouts.


July 28: Kohli flown home, flanked by detectives from Hampshire, after being handed over to police on board a plane at Delhi airport.

July 29: 3am Detectives speak to Kohli before officially charging him with abduction, rape and murder of Hannah.

July 30: Kohli makes first appearance in Southampton Magistrates Court and is remanded.


October 13: Jury sworn in at Winchester Crown Court for start of Hannah murder trial.

November 25:Kohli is found guilty of the abduction, false imprisonment, rape and murder of Hannah.