Otterbourne moved to within a point of second-placed Colden Common in Sydenhams Wessex League - Division 3 on Saturday with an emphatic 3-0 victory as the two sides went head-to-head at Oakwood Park.

With several first team regulars absent Common faced an uphill struggle, but they played their part in an absorbing encounter and matched their opponents for much of it.

The first half was as full-blooded as one would expect a local derby to be, with no-one wanting to give an inch.

It remained goal-less, however, until the 38th minute when the hosts went ahead with a classic strike. Andy Harvey, recently promoted to the first team and again proving a handful, had an effort blocked. The ball ran to youngster Adie Delanougerede, who lashed an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net from the edge of the penalty area.

As Otterbourne opened the second half on the offensive James Bedford fashioned a chance for Jamie Nash, but the young striker fired straight at Common goalkeeper Dave Nicol.

Bedford increased the lead ten minutes in, displaying good ball control before despatching a shot into the far corner of the goal.

Nicol then made a fine low save to deny Harvey following more good work from Delanougerede while, at the other end, an effort from Dean Higgins passed agonisingly across goal and inches wide.

Otters' newly-formed but extremely effective strike partnership combined to put the result beyond doubt eleven minutes from the end.

Harvey capitalised on a rare defensive error by Simon Lemon and raced clear only to be thwarted by Nicol's outstretched leg. Nash pounced on the loose ball and crossed for Harvey, who made no mistake the second time.

Higgins found Matt Rackham as the visitors sought a consolation goal but he too was a fraction off target.

Bedford then squandered a golden opportunity blazing high from point-blank range after Nash had cut to the by line and delivered a low centre.

That would have been hard on Common, though, as they had contributed much to an enjoyable match.

Andover New Strt 3 Otterbourne 1

Otters rested several firtst-teamers for Tuesday night's Andover Open Cup game at New Street - and paid the price.

Otters held their own for the first 20 minutes, but once the hosts had opened the scoring there was really only ever going to be one winner.

Jamie Nash scored the consolation goal for Otterbourne, who face Fleetlands in the quarter-finals of the Hampshire Intermediate Cup at Oakwood Park this Saturday (2:00pm).