GOAL-HAPPY Winchester City are back in pole position in the Sydenhams Wessex League.

While Neil Hards's champions were busy annihilating Bournemouth Poppies 8-0 at the Denplan City Ground, deposed leaders Andover were crashing 3-1 at home to Lymington & New Milton.

Incredibly City have buried a thumping 19 goals in their last three league games having hit Hamble ASSC for six and walloped five past Wimborne.

Once again they struck early against the shellshocked Poppies with Jamie Musselwhite taking just two minutes and 30 seconds to bury the first of his evening's hat-trick.

The former Fareham marksman bagged his second on 14 minutes, sliding in to meet Ian Mancey's cross-shot and he completed his treble midway through the second half after Shaun Dyke had skipped past two challenges before crossing from the right.

Although Musselwhite has ten goals already this term, he is still in the shadow of 13-goal Mancey, who struck twice last night from Dyke's cross and Liam Green's corner.

David Goss netted his second in as many games from another Green corner and Green got in on the scoring act himself on 56 minutes, netting his first of the season from Mancey's assist.

Substitute Jamie Laidlaw completed the rout with 20 minutes remaining from a Musselwhite pass.

Lymington were also quick off the mark at Andover where Darren Crook's 20-yard strike was helped into the net by goalkeeper Luke Havilland's hand with the game just four minutes old.

The Linnets should have built on their lead before Callum Earl restored parity with a 52nd-minutre free kick that deflected in off the defensive wall.

The Foresters regained the lead when Darren Curtis headed Ben Thomson's deep corner back across goal for Paul Towler to head in off the post, but they so nearly lost it again when the.Lions were awarded a penalty. Unfortunately for Andover, Mark Watson parried Justin Bennett's spot kick and Mario Nurse fired the loose ball over.

Linnets' nerves were finally settled by substitute Kevin James, who capitalised on good work by his namesake Paddy.

"We needed that result because Andover were top," reflected Linnets' assistant boss Richie Phippard. "Even at this stage of the season, tonight's game was a bit of a six-pointer. I still think we've got more to give though. We started very sharply, but we're not playing 100 per cent."

Player-manager Graham Kemp hailed Brockenhurst's 1-1 home draw with Fareham "the best we've played this season against the best side we've faced."

After seven successive victories, Fareham looked to be on their way to an eighth when James Lacey set up Floyd Hamodu to fire them into an eighth-minute lead. But evergreen Brock striker Jason Lovell had other ideas, teeing up Dan Marks to head home an excellent equaliser.

Kemp enthused: "Everyone I spoke to afterwards said it was a great advert for Wessex football. I think we had the first 45 minutes, but Fareham are a very young, mobile and quick side and when they took the game to us in the second half it felt as if we were playing against Winchester or Lymington - it was like the Alamo.

"But we've shown we're a good side tonight and I can't praise the lads enough."

Both Totton clubs ended the evening with a point. While BAT held Wimborne Town 0-0 at The Cuthbury, neighbours AFC Totton came back from behind to draw 1-1 with VT FC at Testwood Park.

Michael Spinney struck for the Boatmen and Danny Barker headed the equaliser past former Totton keeper Scott O'Rourke from Steve Marwood's cross.

Goals by Richard Bentley (2) and Scott Joyce gave Christchurch the 3-0 home verdict over Alton.