WILY Whitchurch United pulled off one of the results of the season when they clinched a 1-0 victory over championship-chasing Wimborne Town at The Cuthbury.

On a day when the entire Sydenhams Wessex League celebrated Winchester City's wonderful achievement, the 1992 Vase winners saw their title prospects possibly ended by the in-form North Hampshire club.

Whitchurch, who started March some six points adrift at the foot of the table, have now collected ten points from their last four league matches to move out of the bottom two.

"We've played very well today and naturally I'm extremely pleased," smiled a delighted Whitchurch chairman Tony Chivers. "Wimborne were very gracious in defeat and they have said that we fully deserved it.

"There's been no influx of players to make these results happen - it's the same team only they are playing in a different formation.

"Everything is in our own hands now and, although we have a difficult run-in, I'm confident that we can stay in this league," added Chivers.

The game's only goal came after 75 minutes, Gary Blenkarn crossing to the near post for leading scorer Paul Roffey to slot home.

Table-proppers Downton became the first team to leak 100 league goals this season as they slipped to a 4-1 defeat at Gosport Borough.

Graham Lindsay headed Boro' in front on 20 minutes from Perry Holland's corner kick but the Robins were level seven minutes later. Neil Archer was brought down in the area and he duly converted the spot-kick.

Good pressure by Neil Scammell resulted in Mark Tryon firing the home side ahead again from 12 yards after 37 minutes and two further assists from Tryon put the seal on a 4-1 verdict. On 60 minutes, his pass split the Downton defence for Lindsay to square the ball to Stuart Hensman for the third and then Tryon's through-ball saw Lindsay beat the offside trap and apply a great finish.

Blackfield & Langley slide into the bottom two after they were flattened 5-2 by Thatcham, who finished the game with nine men.

Three goals in as many minutes set the game alight. Ian Davies netted an 18th-minute penalty after he had been upended and, although Steve Wheatland equalised 60 seconds later, the Berkshire side regained the lead with a 30-yard screamer by Jamie Green after 21 minutes.

Paul Worsfold made it 3-1 with a close-range finish on 32 minutes and, four minutes later, Green grabbed his second and the home side's fourth. Wheatland pulled another goal back on 52 minutes only for Danny Oatway to head in a fifth from a Russell Green cross after 57 minutes.

That was the last of the goals but not the action. Thatcham's Thomas Melledew, son of manager Steve, was red-carded for kicking out in the 65th minute and teammate Paul Taplin followed him down the tunnel five minutes later for a second yellow card.

Manager Melledew sighed: "Victory has come at a price today and the dismissals have certainly taken the edge off the win."

Thatcham's neighbours AFC Newbury had Dave Asker sent off as they came from behind to triumph 2-1 at Christchurch.

The home side had taken the lead after 17 minutes when James Bailey-Pearce knocked his corner kick to the far post where Jamie Baker arrived to bullet a header high into the roof of the net.

Lee Chudy levelled for Newbury eight minutes later and they scored a fortunate winner before half-time when the home keeper accidentally punched his intended clearance into the face of Tom Hughes and the ball ricocheted into the net.

The wind was the only winner at nearby Victoria Park where Bournemouth Poppies and Hamble ASSC slugged out a goalless draw.