TWO eco-warriors were cautioned by police after baring all while chained to the gates of the Hampshire County Council offices in Winchester.

The campaigners stripped off to highlight their protest against the city's new park-and-ride scheme at Bar End.

Emily Edmondstone, 20, painted as the green goddess, and Ben Tresham, 19, were arrested after police

shielded the scene from public view with three vans and freed them with bolt-cutters.

Shortly afterwards the three remaining protesters including self-styled druid king Arthur Pendragon, who had also chained themselves to the gates but remained fully clothed, asked to be cut free, believing their point had been made.

Miss Edmondstone and Mr Tresham were later issued with a caution under the Public Order Act for causing harassment, distress or alarm to members of the public.

The five campaigners were chained for more than three hours after attaching themselves to the gates of Queen Elizabeth II Court from 7.45am yesterday.

The activists said they wanted to highlight the alleged betrayal by the county council of a pledge made in the early 1990s when the land at Bar End, formerly the A33 bypass, was dug up and returned to nature.

Mr Tresham, a student at King Alfred's College, said: "We are here to raise public awareness about what is going on and to let people know that the council and the government have lied to us. It is appalling and we are going to do everything that is peacefully possible to stop it."

Daubed in green body paint, Miss Edmondstone, a student at the School of Oriental and African Studies in London, added: "The police said we were not committing an offence when we were just chained to the gates so taking our clothes off is the only way to get them to remove us."

Mr Pendragon, 49, said: "This is all about bringing the issue to the public's attention and we have achieved what we set out to do."

Earlier in the morning, two other protesters climbed the side of the Westgate and unfurled a banner, reading: "Honour thy spoken word".

After sitting on ledges high above the street for an hour, they were helped down to safety by fire crews.

Building work on the 420-space extension started last month with the removal of the topsoil and is due to continue until December.

The protesters say the destruction is not irreversible as the topsoil could be put back.