England's under-fire attack produced their best performance of the Ashes tour so far today to dismiss a strong Western Australian line-up for 213 in their rain-hit warm-up match at the WACA.

Criticised for their performance during the drawn two-day match against a second-string WA line-up, England more than made amends today with all four specialist bowlers contributing wickets.

Senior fast bowler Andrew Caddick was the pick of the attack with 4-49. But England's management will also have been delighted with the performances of Simon Jones and Steve Harmison, who were paired together for the first time in a first-class match.

Durham fast bowler Harmison had struggled to adapt to the demands of an Australian tour, delivering 16 wides including seven in succession during the opening defeat at Lilac Hill and claiming 1-89 from 19 overs in the drawn two-day match with WA.

But today he claimed 2-30 and demonstrated the progress he has made since his arrival over a week ago, removing both opener Scott Meuleman and explosive batsman Ryan Campbell, to cap an impressive all-round bowling display from the tourists.

Jones, rested for last week's two-day match, also showed encouraging signs. Having fully recovered from the side strain which kept him out for much of last summer, he also claimed a wicket.

Caddick gave the tourists an early lift by removing WA captain Justin Langer in the 11th over and followed up with two further wickets.

Captain Nasser Hussain had no hesitation in deciding to bowl after winning the toss and unleashing his pair of young quicks, but it was Caddick who took the eye during the early stages despite a 45-minute delay for rain.

It took Caddick just three overs after the resumption to make the breakthrough, with Langer pushing forward and getting an inside edge straight to Hampshire's John Crawley at short leg, who took a smart catch away to his left.

Caddick followed up by claiming England's second wicket shortly after the lunch interval when Chris Rogers, who had scored runs in both the tourists' previous games, was dismissed for seven when he edged behind to wicketkeeper Alec Stewart.

That was the first of three wickets to fall in four overs, Harmison striking two overs later with opener Meuleman attempting to clip off his hip but instead getting a faint edge behind to Stewart.

Mike Hussey was the next to fall when he pushed forward and edged Caddick low to Marcus Trescothick at third slip, only for Campbell to embark on a trademark aggressive innings with three early boundaries.

He progressed to 37 off only 44 balls, helping to forge a 66-run partnership with Marcus North spanning only 17 overs, until he attempted one aggressive stroke too many and hooked Harmison straight to Caddick in the deep.

Brad Hogg followed nine overs later, with Ashley Giles claiming England's first lbw decision of the tour when he successfully appealed as the batsman tried to sweep.

The remainder of WA's line-up capitulated to leave North unbeaten on 71 after nearly three hours at the crease.

(Date published 28 October 2002).