ACCORDING to the promotional slogan, last night's reserve team sheet was 'extraordinary'.

But despite fielding a team largely consisting of first-team squad players, there was something distinctly ordinary about Saints' performance, writes Jeremy Wilson.

They fell 2-0 to reserve league table-toppers Fulham as striker Luke Cornwall made the most of two first-half defensive mix-ups.

Yet what was even more disappointing was Saints' failure to turn possession into clear-cut chances even though their line-up included the likes of Andrei Kanchelskis and Agustin Delgado, partnering Scott McDonald, who has returned from his loan spell at Huddersfield.

Saints started brightly enough and almost took the lead after six minutes when Paul Telfer, playing in centre midfield, had a glancing header from a Brian Howard corner cleared off the line by Michael Timlin.

But Fulham gradually got into the game and Cornwall showed his danger when he burst clear on 24 minutes and rocked Paul Jones's bar with a thundering shot.

He made amends eight minutes later after Kleber Chala was dispossessed by John Collins, who fed Mark Hudson to cross for an easy finish.

Cornwall doubled the lead as confusion between Jones and Marcus Hall forced the Saints fullback to stab the ball across goal to Paul Williams.

But Williams miscontrolled, allowing the Fulham forward an easy tap-in.

There was briefly hope between the two goals when Delgado sprang to life and went close with two shots and a header in the space of a minute.

Defender Garry Monk later admitted there were a few harsh words at half-time and Saints did better in the second half without ever looking particularly threatening.

Delgado again had several half-chances, while Arron Davies, who replaced McDonald, went close with a volley from a Kanchelskis cross after 68 minutes.

Chris Baird also fired a fierce shot just over eight minutes from time, but in truth Fulham held on with ease.

Reserve team boss Steve Wigley said: "We just gave two goals away in the first half.

"After that Paul Jones has not had a save to make all night.

"In the second half, we played with pride and honesty and it was much better. We created some chances but just couldn't take them.

"When you don't play well it is important to keep a clean sheet, but we gifted them goals."

Saints Reserves: Paul Jones, Chris Baird, Garry Monk, Paul Williams, Marcus Hall, Andrei Kanchelskis, Paul Telfer, Kleber Chala (Michael Green 63mins), Brian Howard, Agustin Delgado, Scott McDonald (Arron Davies 45mins). Subs: Mike Williamson, Jay Lucas, Gareth Williams.

Fulham Reserves: Martin Herrera, Dean Leacock, Jon Harley (Zesh Rehman 45mins), Kieran McAnespie, Mark Hudson, John Collins, Bjarne Goldbaek, Michael Timlin (Tom Davis 73mins), Luke Cornwall, Calum Willock, Sean Doherty (Adam Green 64mins). Subs: Loui Fazakerley, Glyn Thompson.

Referee: S Habgood (Chippenham).