Totton hammered out a message to the rest of the Jewson Wessex League by winning 4-0 at early season pacesetters AFC Newbury.

Ian Robinson's side were 3-0 up after 35 minutes thanks to goals from Scott Bundy, Patrick James and Martin Whiddett.

And in the second half James, whose first half cross shot was the pick of the Totton goals, scored his second and his side's fourth.

Robinson said: "We played as well as we have done all season in the first half an hour. We had to mix it up a little bit after that because Newbury came back into it, as you would expect.

"In a game against them last year they blitzed us in the first ten minutes and put us out of the game. But this time we came out with a plan with two defensive rows of four and played some fantastic football.

"Our finishing was different class, there was only one team in it, it was a terrific performance."

Hamble ASSC consolidated their recent ascent into the top half with a 2-2 draw at home to high flying Wimborne.

Wimborne were 1-0 up at the break but Hamble hit back with a Nicky Clark free-kick five minutes into the second half, before the visitors recaptured the lead with an excellent free-kick of their own.

"We put them under a lot of pressure after that," said manager Larry Clay, whose side were rewarded with a Robin Ackroyd strike drilled home from 12 yards.

Clay added: "I'm very pleased with this result because we showed that we're not an easy touch any more against a very good side and .

"We worked hard and didn't really deserve to lose on that basis, although they had a high percentage of the chances, as you would expect."

Havant & Waterlooville rookie Craig Leworthy scored on his first team debut as Wessex league strugglers Whitchurch were thumped 6-0 at West Leigh Park in the Hampshire Senior Cup.

It was a result that vindicated Mick Jenkins' decision to rest several players after the 3-1 FA Cup win against Billericay on Saturday.

Seventeen-year-old Leworthy, the son of former Tottenham and Havant striker Dave, scored the third goal for a very young Hawks side, for whom former Pompey apprentice Phil Barnett opened the scoring.

Neil Davis added a second after a flowing five man move and, after Leworthy had struck early in the second half, Alec Masson added a fourth with a towering header.

Luke Middleton and former Bournemouth midfielder James Ford, with his first for the club, completed the scoring.

The only negative for Jenkins was a calf strain to midfielder Tim Hambley, who will now miss the Dr Martens League game against Newport County on Saturday.

Jenkins said: "The side we fielded had an average age of about 19 or 20 but we played some fantastic football.

"Timmy Hambley was the oldest player on the side by some distance so I'm delighted with everything about tonight except his injury.

"With all due respect to Whitchurch they are not the strongest side so it was a good chance to show the fans some of the young talent we've got and they did that.

"They went about it in a very professional manner, it was an emphatic performance which bodes well for the future of the club.

"There were a lot of senior debuts out there and they can all hold their heads high."

Two-goal Adam Wallace helped Salisbury City beat fellow Dr Martens Eastern Division high flyers Dorchester Town 3-2 in the first round of the DML Cup.

Wallace, back in the starting line up after an injury lay off, gave Salisbury the lead at Old Sarum against the run of play.

Then he ensured a half-time lead with another opportunist strike after the Dorset outfit had equalised.

But it was Wayne Turk who grabbed the winner after former Bournemouth winger Justin Keeler had made it 2-2.

Salisbury assistant manager Tommy Killick said: "Adam took his goals very well but he still looked a bit rusty and a little bit short of what he will be like when he's fully match fit.

"Even so, he was always a threat, he's always got goals in him even when he isn't 100 per cent.

"It's always good to have some cup interest so we're delighted with this result."

Fleet Town lost 1-0 at home to Eastbourne Borough in the DML Cup, their second defeat of the month against the Sussex outfit.

The North Hampshire outfit have now failed to score against Dr Martens opposition at Calthorpe Park since August.

The good news last night was that Rob Marshall was back in the defence after returning safely from his honeymoon in time to face an Eastbourne side that rested five or six of their first team regulars.

But even Marshall could not stop Borough's Mark Warren from tapping home on 18 minutes after reacting first to a long range strike that struck a post.