Moneyfields 0, Whitchurch 1

ANDY Shore's Garage sponsored Whitchurch at long last this season finally got a bit of luch when they picked up their first win in eight games in the JWL with last Saturday's confidence-boosting away win at Copner Avenue. It was also the first time in six matches that they had beaten Moneyfields since they jointed the Wessex League.

Boosted by a 6-0 thumping of Basingstoke League side Kingsclere for a place in the semi-finals of the Basingstoke Senior Cup the previous Tuesday with two goals apiece from Gary Blankarn, Danny Kirk and Stuart Vosper, John Mas and Graham Knight's side was lucky to still be in the game at half time.

To use that well used footballing clich, it was definitely a game of two halves, with Whitchurch having an appalling first half but dominating the second.

Moneyfields looked the better side in the first 45 minutes as they adapted better to the heavy pitch conditions but whatever was said at half time certainly did the trick as Whitchurch looked a different side in the second half.

"We were missing a few key players and were all over the place first half but all credit for the lads for hanging on," said Mas. "We had to defend in numbers in the first half but we managed to sort things out at half time and second half were much the better side."

The only goal came 12 minutes from the end from Ross Soper-Dyer with the sweetest of volleys from outside the box that took a deflection after the Moneyfields 'keeper had charged down a shot from Blankarn.

With Paul Hargood making his first full appearance in defence since his return to the club after spell with Newbury, Whitchurch had much more width to their game in the second half and carved out a number of other excellent chances with Martin Ging unlucky not to score with a far post header, Hargood just over with another header and Jason Dinham caught in two minds when he had another opening.

With two minutes left, Knight almost doubled the score with another shot from outside the box that also took a wicked deflection but the Moneyfields 'keeper kept it out with a reflex save.

Moneyfields also had their chances but Paul Cann in the Whitchurch goal dealt comfortably with everything that came his way.

Whitchurch (4-4-2): Cann; Hargood; Shaughnessy, Robinson, Clayson; Dinham, Stockwell, Ging, Knight (K); Blankarn, Soper-Dyer. Subs: McIllhinney (for Ging 75 mins), Vosper (not used).

Downton 1, Whitchurch 2 Whitchurch moved into 12th spot in the JWL after gaining their second successive away win of the year with winger Steve Caswell scoring the winning goal direct from a corner. "We did very well considering the side we had out,," said delighted manager John Mas. Dean Robinson gave Whitchurch a 25th minute lead from the penalty spot and they also hit the woodwork three times and had what appeared another perfectly good goal disallowed in the first half but Downton were back on level terms with a goal just before half time. Whitchurch, however, were not to be denied and Caswell, who missed last Saturday's win at Moneyfields, notched a worthy winner in the second half when he swung the ball straight into the Downton net from a corner on the right. Whitchurch (4-4-2): Cann; Clayson, Hughest, Shaughnessy, Robinson; Blankarn, Vosper, Kirk, Caswell; Soper-Dyer, Winterbourne. Subs: McIllhinney (for Robinson 92 mins), Fisher (for Soper-Dyer 88 mins).