FORMER Bournemouth and Andover striker Howard Goddard's return to manage the side where he started his playing career has sparked a revival in fortunes for Hants Division Two strugglers Broughton.

They were facing a likely battle to retain their county league status but since Goddard took over the running of the side at the turn of the year, with club stalwart Terry Dawkins, Broughton have picked up four points out of a possible six.

A Goddard inspired fight-back saw them salvage a point from a 4-4 draw a fortnight ago and last Saturday they won for only the fourth time this season in the county league with a 4-3 home win over mid-table Netley CS.

"It's only a start and we're still leaking two many goals but we're heading in the right direction," said Goddard this week after his first win thanks to a last-minute winner from Joe Kearney.

Broughton started superbly and went 2-0 up with goals from Simon Woodley and Stuart Griffiths in the first five minutes but Netley hit back to level terms before the break. Griffiths grabbed his second goal of the game to put Broughton ahead again with just over an hour gone only for Netley to level matters for the second time.

It looked as though Broughton would have to settle for a point again but Kearney came up with a 90th minute winner and they also had time for Gavin Fayer-Honour to miss a penalty.

"We could have been four or five up at half time but we've scored eight in the last two games," summed up Goddard, who has signed former Andover pair Simon Woodley and Bradley Randall after they were recommended to him by Andover assistant manager Mike Burford, as well as 'keeper Christian Nicel from New Street.

The 43-year-old Goddard, who also played for Blackpool before moving abroad, spent three years playing in Finland where he won two championship medals and for the past 16 years has been living in Holland. He has a home in Oss and since he packed up playing he has been coaching semi-professional side at Alem.

The mid-season break in Holland gave him the chance to return home and since the start of the year has been on a course at the FA Training Centre at Lilleshall in a bid to gain his full FA coaching badge.


Colin Phillimore's Overton suffered yet another odd goal defeat when going down 2-1 at home to second placed Laverstock & Ford in Hants Division Two last Saturday. The village club's manager had no complaint with the result but he was without three key midfield players due to either injury or work commitments. Overton did take an early with Paul Ralph crossing to the back of the 18 yard box for Tim Wright beating a defender to head the ball back for Michael Taylor to score with a diving header. Overton held the advantage until the 30th minute when Laverstock stole a simple equaliser after the home side lost the ball in midfield. In the second half Laverstock scored the winner after a short corner was driven low into the box and the Overton defence failed to clear. More chances fell to Laverstock but several good saves from Kevin Hogan in the home goal kept Overton hopes alive. Adam Chambers hit a post, Darren White put the ball over the bar with only the Laverstock 'keeper to beat and Gary Savory also blasted over from a free kick on the edge of the area while Terry Blackburn gave 100 per cent in a bid to try and gain something out of the game.


Andover New Street and Stockbridge were again sidelined last Saturday after their Hants Premier games were called off at Liss and Petersfield respectively due to waterlogged pitches. Street however was hoping to clear their fixtures backlog with two games this week but manager Danny Mulberry admitted it had been difficult keeping his players interested, although some of them have been able to have a run out with the Reserves in the JWL Combination. "It's been a bit of a nightmare," he said. "We've only played two games since Christmas but fortunately are only a couple of games adrift and having floodlights will help to clear the backlog once the weather improves." He added that Street have been training but they will be without 'keeper Titch Bloomfield for the next three or four weeks after he suffered a knee injury at last Thursday night's training session. Stockbridge, still with 23 league games to play, do not have floodlights but hope to have them at the Recreation Ground by the start of next season thanks to the efforts of Jon Holman and his fund-raising team. "He's done a tremendous job for the club," said manager Barry Andrews. 'Bridge have also won through to the final of the North Hants Senior Cup where they will face holders Andover after another tremendous effort by the village club. Beaten only three times in the Hants Premier this season, 'Bridge are also in with a great chance of becoming county league champions for the first time, especially with former Andover and Salisbury star Sean Sanders pledging his commitment to the club for the rest of the season.