Southampton's first team looked comfortably in control of their match against Petersfield before they blew a two-goal cushion to end up losing.

Despite the absence of five regulars, Southampton went 2-0 up thanks to Gary Watts (pictured left) and Kelvin Wyatt (pictured right) before it all went horribly wrong with Petersfield nicking four goals as Richard Watts' strike could only make the score 4-3.

However, the seconds continued their dominance of the Hampshire Second Eleven League with a 12-2 thrashing of Old Edwardians.

Pete Graham was the hat-trick hero, his first in ten years of hockey. He was supported by two from Chris Stokes, John Freckleton and Neil Hutchinson and one a piece from Eric Holt and Rob Sparrow before Stokes and Freckleton rounded off the scoring.

There was a rapid reaction for the thirds who opened the scoring against Southampton University after only 30 seconds through Steve Quinn with strikes from James Wise, David Holt and another from Quinn making the final score 4-1 while the fourths overcame Reading 2-0 courtesy of Colin Langridge and Mike Gillingham.

New Milton second's early goal was quickly cancelled out when Mike Foulds equalised within seconds. Southampton fifths could not repeat the feat as Milton added five more to win 6-1 but the sixths scraped home via Mike Cotton in their match with Eastleigh Mohawks.

The Otters saw a comfortable 2-0 lead suddenly vanish as Lavant's Martin Carter forced them back into the game with two solo efforts. However the Otters set about reinstating their lead, and two second half goals sealed the result. Southampton scorers were James Moody, Robin Martin and Henry Swzinto (2).

Both the Veterans and the Masters went down to United Services Portsmouth sides. The senior Vets had the opposition to thank for their goal in their 2-1 defeat, while the Masters lost 3-2 with Martin Roche, his first since returning from retirement, and Chris Crane netting.

Sunday was not a day of rest for the Vets who played their second match of the weekend against a strong Worcester side in the National Vets Cup, eventually losing out 8-0.

The under-18 boys were forced to introduce under-16 keeper Ryan Edwards into their top-of-the-table clash with Winchester and he went on to produce several match-winning saves with Chris Stokes, Rhobet Williams and Robin Martin getting the glory goals.

Trojans took the lead against Southampton at under-12 level but strikes from Andrew Clover and David Stokes reversed the early scoreline.

Hamble Old Boys' moved into pole position in Hampshire Division 1 with a 2 -1 away triumph against old enemies Weymouth.

Goals from Mark Wakefield and Steve Barber secured victory despite a late strike from their opponents.

Meanwhile the second team defeated Weymouth 7-2 thanks to strikes from Dennis Barber (2), Mike Sandall and Andy Hattemore (3), the thirds beat Andover courtesy of a Kevin Sandall brace, while the fourths drew 0-0 with Southsea.