A HEARTBROKEN lover sent a text to his ex telling her “don’t come to my funeral" before hanging himself, an inquest heard.

Depressed Steven White, 29, killed himself at his home after an argument with his former girlfriend Karen Ryan.

She did not pick up his final message until the next day.

The couple were still in contact despite splitting up in May 2009 just weeks after they had moved into a one-bedroom flat together.

Karen said her ex-partner, who lived at Bracklesham Close, Sholing, Southampton, often said he wanted to die and was on anti-depressants, the inquest was told.

Steven had gone to a party at Karen’s home in Makely Gardens, Hedge End, on July 14 but she called a taxi for him after he had drunk beer and whisky from the bottle and begun arguing with her and her friends, Southampton Coroner’s Court heard.

The next morning he came to her house at 6.30am then again at 10.30am telling her he needed to speak about the night before but she refused.

The inquest heard that Steven bombarded her with calls and text messages throughout the day saying he always loved her and would always be there for her.

He later sent a bouquet of flowers with a note reading: “I’m sorry. Nobody else matters, love Steve’’.

Despite being ignored all day, Steven tried calling at 11pm but the coroner heard that Karen said she did not answer because she was in bed. Steven left a message saying he wished he was dead but didn’t have the courage to do anything about it.

Karen replied telling him not to contact her again.

She could not sleep so took the flowers back to Steven’s home leaving them under the window outside the flat. It was not until the next day – July 16 – when she got a message from a friend at 4.04pm that she saw the morbid text Steven sent the night before.

She went to his home at 6.20pm and saw the flowers had not been moved, then saw Steven inside the flat slumped on his knees so tried to kick the door down.

Karen called police, who ruled out any foul play. No note was left.

A post-mortem revealed he was twice over the drink drive limit and died from hanging.

Recording a verdict of suicide, deputy Southampton coroner Gordon Denson said the alcohol could have influenced his decision.

Mr Denson told Karen she must not blame herself.