A DEVASTATED cat owner whose pet died within hours of ingesting anti-freeze is appealing to motorists to be more careful when using the deadly liquid.

Ruth Gibbs was told by vets that her 18-month-old cat, Tigger, was suffering from the effects of anti-freeze poisoning and had to be put down.

Daily Echo: Video news headlines from the Southern Daily Echo

The mum-of-two from Fawley is now eager to warn other pet owners of the dangers of the poisonous product and is urging all drivers to clear up any spillages in the hope of preventing any more unnecessary deaths.

A chemical used in antifreeze, ethylene glycol, can be fatal if ingested by animals, who are attracted to its sweet taste or who get it onto their fur and lick it when grooming.

Ruth, 30, said: “It was heartbreaking having to put her to sleep but there was just no choice, this stuff is deadly to animals and they stand no chance of survival.

“I think drivers need to be made more aware of the dangers of not clearing up accidental spillages during these colder months because I think they would be shocked to know they had caused the death of an animal.

“If this can prevent just one more family going through this then it will be worth it.”

Elaine Pendlebury, PDSA vet, said: “PDSA strongly advises pet owners and car owners whose neighbours have pets to keep antifreeze secure and away from pets and to clean up any spillages.”