The parents of a Hampshire student found dead have paid tribute to their “beautiful, wonderful Emily”.

More than 15,500 people have joined a page on Facebook in tribute to Emily Longley, whose body was discovered on Saturday morning.

Her family has called the reaction to her death “astonishing”.

A police investigation has been launched into the death of the 17-year-old Brockenhurst College student, who was found dead in a house in Bournemouth.

Her parents have travelled from their home in New Zealand to join other family members in Bournemouth, where Emily was living with her grandparents.

They are understood to have spoken with police carrying out the inquiry into their daughter’s death.

In a statement released yesterday, they said: “Our beautiful, wonderful Emily is gone and we do not know how.

“We have to wait until the police finish their investigations. We are confident that they will be thorough and we truly appreciate their sympathetic and discreet support.

“We ask that anybody who knows anything about events involving Emily last Friday evening and night, should contact the investigating team on 01202 222222 immediately.

“We are very grateful for the sympathy and support we have received from so many kind people. The deluge of messages of regret and tributes to Emily on Facebook has been astonishing. The number of people who knew her and loved her is amazing.”

There has been speculation over how Emily died, and her family asked people to wait patiently for the police to complete their investigation.

People from across the globe, including many from her native New Zealand, have left tribute messages to Emily on several Internet pages. One other has 1,300 members, while hundreds have joined other groups.

They range from college friends to people Emily had never even met.

Police continue to describe the aspiring model’s death as “unexplained” as they await the results of a post-mortem. They are waiting for toxicology results to come back, which can take weeks.

The teenager’s body was found on Saturday morning at a bungalow in Queenswood Avenue in Strouden Park, Bournemouth. Officers revisited the property yesterday.

Two men, aged 17 and 19, were arrested later that day and have been released on police bail until the end of June, pending further inquiries.

Before her death she had voiced fears that she was being stalked on her Facebook page.