THE inquest into a young woman who plunged to her death from a Southampton tower block just hours after she had been discharged from a mental health unit will start next week.

Victoria Nye, 22, died in March last year, after falling more than 100ft from the balcony of her 13th floor flat in Dumbleton Towers, in Thornhill.

Her death sparked a top-level inquiry by health bosses into care given to Victoria and the decision to allow her to return home, despite the desperate pleas of her dad, Graham, who warned she would be dead within hours of her release.

He is now hoping that the inquest into his daughter’s death, which will take place at Southampton Coroner’s Court, will finally give him the answers he has been searching for over why Victoria was discharged from the psychiatric unit, seemingly ignoring his warnings.

At the time of her death, Mr Nye told the Daily Echo: “I have no doubt that she killed herself because she felt there was no help for her.”

According to Mr Nye, Victoria had admitted herself into the Department of Psychiatry (DoP), after accepting she needed help for her mental illness, which over the previous eight years had led to serious incidents of self harming and violence.

In 2009 the former pupil at St Anne’s School in Southampton and the Mountbatten School in Romsey had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder but was later told she suffered from a personality disorder.

Two weeks before her death she admitted herself to the unit but on the evening of March 4, 2010, Mr Nye received a call from his daughter who told him she was being released from Southampton’s DoP, based at the Royal South Hants Hospital.

He said that against his warning, Victoria was told by psychiatrists that she “could not be helped” at the centre and would be discharged.

It was just hours later that police called at Mr Nye’s home to tell him the news that his daughter was dead.

More than 240 friends and family packed her funeral to say goodbye to Victoria, who had plans to study medicine at university.

Soon after bosses from Hampshire Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, now Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust, launched an internal inquiry into her death.

The DoP has since closed. In June 2010 it was replaced by the £25m purpose- built Antelope House, a 60-bed complex alongside the Royal South Hants Hospital.

The inquest is expected to last five days.