A BLOOD-STAINED stab victim made a desperate bid to get help from a neighbour moments after he was wounded in a “sustained” knife attack, a court has heard.

But terrified Sarah Heath quickly shut the door on Alex Woods after she noticed the silhouette of a man with a 10inch blade.

The funeral florist’s account was read out on day two of the murder trial into Mr Woods’ death, allegedly at the hands of Andi Edwards – who claims self-defence.

Jury members were told in a statement how Mrs Heath had heard “three loud bangs” on her front door, in Scott Road, Eastleigh.

Mrs Heath, who was downstairs finishing work at the time, opened the door, believing it could be her son.

Instead she saw the silhouette of Mr Woods, 22, who was crying out “help me, help me”.

But she saw the outline of what she described as a 10inch kitchen knife and immediately shut the door.

She shouted at her husband to call the police.

In a statement, she said: “I didn’t know what to do.

“My son looked through the window and told me he was lying by the door.

“I was scared, my mind was in turmoil.

“Now knowing the full circumstances, I feel absolutely bereft that I closed the door.”

Police later arrived and told Mrs Heath and her family to stay indoors as they attempted to help Mr Woods, shortly before midnight on July 6.

However, he later died as a result of his six stab wounds, the most damaging of which penetrated his liver.

Another neighbour, Andrew Henty, told the jury how armed police arrived on the night of the incident and discharged four bullets.

The court had previously heard how officers had shot a German Sheppard at a house on Scott Road, where the prosecution, led by Richard Pratt, QC, allege the murder took place.

Mr Pratt told the jury how the dog, named Benson, had become agitated.

The owner of the home, and the dog, Daniel Curant, appeared before the court yesterday to give evidence.

Mr Curant, whose partner is the mother of Andi Edwards, confirmed he was away in Doncaster at the time of the attack.

The 37-year-old denies murder, and says his actions were in self-defence.

The trial continues.