A MAN who subjected his mother to “years of abuse” has been jailed for 18 months.

Jonathan Shotter, 36, is back behind bars after breaching a restraining order imposed to protect his mum.

He tried to wish his mother a happy new year on January 3 before he climbed into the lounge via one of the Obelisk Road home’s windows at around 9pm.

After officers managed to track Shotter down he was taken to Southampton Central Police Station where he then abused an officer, using homophobic language.

Southampton Crown Court heard that Shotter, of no fixed abode, was made the subject of a restraining order in 2012.

Prosecutor Robert Griffiths told the court Shotter’s mother had “suffered years of abuse at the hands of her son’s behaviour which made her health get worse and worse.”

Mr Griffiths said: “Shotter tried to make contact with his mother by wishing her a happy new year through the window of her home.

“He tried to talk to her and giving her a bottle of wine. He got into the lounge by climbing into the window but when he heard there was a police car outside, which his mother called, he made off out the back of the flat and into the street.”

The court was told that when police originally stopped him following the incident, he gave them a false name.

However he was then seen to be urinating in the front of a shop window before he was arrested and taken to the station.

Mr Griffiths added: “While he was in the station he subjected one of the officers to sustained homophobic abuse.

“He targeted that officer by shouting and swearing at them.

“The officer said it was calculated abuse.”

The court heard that Shotter has been convicted 44 times for 128 offences and that he had spent one year outside of custody since turning 17.

Mitigating, Rufus Taylor, said: “It is a very sad case. His mother does not want anything to do with him and he has no-one left for him in his life.

"His mother suffered with alcoholism, his father died from a drinking problem at the age of 47.”

He added: “His behaviour inside the station was appalling and was probably the result of where he has been for the last 20 years - inside custody.

“It was so awful...he says it was just banter.”

Shotter, of no fixed address, was sentenced to 18 months imprisonment.