SOUTHAMPTON City Council said the authority could have done more to support a teenager who was fatally stabbed last year.

James Laurie, 17, died of a single stab wound to the chest on January 19, 2020 after he staged a carjacking.

A report - in which the teenager is referred to as Liam - has revealed that  his involvement in crime followed an “extremely complex and troubled childhood” and experiences of neglect and domestic abuse.

Agencies 'missed chances' to help Southampton teenager

Talking after the release of the independent report, Rob Henderson, executive director wellbeing (Children and Learning) at Southampton City Council, said: “I would like to extend my condolences to everyone who has been affected by Liam’s tragic and untimely death. I also want to acknowledge that the council could have done more to intervene effectively in Liam’s life, especially at critical moments during the start of our involvement with the family."

It comes as according to the report "professional curiosity in his very early years, may have given professionals opportunities to affect Liam’s life course".

According to the report, the teenager began to be involved in crime when he was eight and he was bullied during his childhood due to a club foot and a facial scar from a dog bite.

Social services in the city have now been asked to take a number of actions including  seeking to develop professional’s knowledge and understanding of the impact of adverse childhood experiences.

Mr Henderson said: "I welcome the recommendations of this report which seek to address the complex issues faced by social services and partner agencies when dealing with young people in Liam’s situation, especially within the national context of criminal exploitation, and county lines drug gangs. While many of the report’s recommendations have already been implemented, we will continue to work tirelessly with our safeguarding partners and the Safeguarding Children Partnership to ensure children in Southampton get the best possible start in life.”

As previously reported, a 15-year-old accused of murdering the teenager was found not guilty of murder.