SUPER sub Yemi Odubade popped up just in the nick of time to rescue Eastleigh a well-deserved 1-1 draw at Altrincham tonight.

With the final whistle fast approaching at Moss Lane, it looked as if the Spitfires were heading for an unheard of third straight defeat in the Vanarama National League.

But following a late flurry of corners, the ball was headed out to Odubade on the edge of the box and he returned it with interest, planting a stunning volley into the top corner.

It was a brilliant finish to what had looked like being another frustrating game for the Spitfires following back-to-back defeats by Barrow and Gateshead.

They arrived late due to a hold-up on the M6, forcing kick-off to be delayed by 15 minutes, and lined up without injured trio Paul Reid, Andy Drury and on-loan Portsmouth ’keeper Michael Poke, while Ben Strevens was suspended and Jack Midson was only fit enough to join Odubade on the bench.

Despite their problems, the Spitfires were the better side early on and went close on 13 minutes when Josh Payne’s free-kick shaved the top of the crossbar.

With left-back Michael Green drafted in to partner Jamie Turley in central defence, Eastleigh remained untroubled until the 29th minute when Altrincham stole the lead with a quality finish.

Adam Griffin set James Lawrie away down the left and the Northern Ireland international cut inside and unleashed a cracking left-foot strike that young goalkeeper Lewis Noice had no chance of keeping out of the top corner.

Eastleigh marksman James Constable spurned two presentable chances at the start of the second half - one well over, the other saved - but the visitors temporarily lost their rhythm as the game got niggly.

Altrincham had a ‘goal’ disallowed before Spitfires boss Richard Hill rang the changes, throwing on Midson and Odubade for Ross Lafayette and Dan Harding.

Noice parried well at his near post to prevent Lawrie doing any further damage before Eastleigh took a late stranglehold on the game and forced that stunning 87th-minute leveller.

Hill’s men remain sixth, but have edged a point closer to runaway leaders Forest Green Rovers who lost their 100 per cent record in a 2-1 defeat at Woking.