Saints are aiming to beat Derby County for the first time in the FA Cup.

These are the clubs' four previous meetings in the competitoon ahead of today's tie at Pride Park


FA Cup third round (January 3, 1998)

Having lost 4-0 on their maiden visit to Pride Park a few months earlier, Saints became the first away side to return to Derby’s new home. But they lost again.

They went behind to a controversial 68th-minute penalty by Francesco Baiano, whose theatrics had made Carlton Palmer look the guilty party. Five minutes later, Chris Powell chested down a Baiano cross and lashed in the second, but Derby lost at Coventry in round four.

Saints: Jones, Dodd, Monkou, Palmer, Benali, Oakley, Richardson, Hughes, (Williams), Le Tissier, Davies, Hirst (Ostenstad).

SAINTS 1 DERBY COUNTY 2 FA Cup third round replay (January 10, 1989)

After a poor first half, Derby took a 58th-minute lead when Dean Saunders capitalised on Graham Baker’s poor back pass and set up Ted McMinn, who gave John Burridge no chance.

Saints were level within a minute. Kevin Moore knocked the ball down to Baker who set up rightback Gerald Forrest to score his first and only Saints goal from 15 yards.

A sensational Shilton save denied Statham from a Matt Le Tissier cross before Nigel Callaghan netted a 25-yard winner in extra time.

Saints: Burridge, Forrest, (Rideout), Statham, Blake, Moore, Ray Wallace, Le Tissier, Case (Cockerill), D Wallace, Baker, Rod Wallace.

DERBY COUNTY 1-1 SAINTS FA Cup third round (January 7, 1989)

Thirty years ago, Saints’ first FA Cup match against Derby for 90 years saw them come up against three of their former players in Mark Wright, Trevor Hebberd and Peter Shilton, who ensured a goalless first half with some great saves.

Derek Statham sent the England goalkeeper the wrong way from the penalty spot but Saints were denied the win they deserved.

Hebberd headed a late equaliser after a long ball over the top caught Saints cold.

Saints: Burridge, Forrest, Statham, Blake, Moore, Osman, Le Tissier (Rideout), Case, D Wallace, Baker, R Wallace.


FA Cup third round (February 25, 1899)

This was the first FA Cup match to be played at The Dell and brought in record receipts of £1,250.

Derby were beaten finalists the previous season and went behind to a goal by Tom Nicol, a future Southampton bowls champion. But goals from the great Steve Bloomer and Billy McDonald put Derby through en route to another final.

But Saints have an impressive record at Pride Park...


(October 15 2011)

Rickie Lambert’s equaliser meant he went to the top of the Championship’s goal charts and Saints stayed at the top of the table en route to promotion back to the Premier League.

Lambert’s second-half finish was the ninth of his 27 league goals that season and followed a slick exchange of passes with David Connolly, after Theo Robinson gave the Rams a third-minute lead in front of a capacity crowd including more than 2,000 Saints fans.

Three days later, Nigel Adkins’ Saints beat West Ham, who would be promoted via the play offs, to go five points clear at the top.

Saints: Davis, Richardson (Hammond 73), Fonte, Fox, Hooiveld, Schneiderlin, Cork, Do Prado (Harding 89), Chaplow (De Ridder 59), Lambert, Connolly


August 23 2008

A young Saints side produced a brilliant performance under Jan Poortvliet at the end of a season that would end with relegation to League One.

Saints outplayed the Rams and could have won by a huge margin.

They were so good that Poortvliet likened them to the great Holland side he played for during the 1970s.

A 58th-minute David McGoldrick header, after an Adam Lallana header from a Lloyd James cross was forced onto the underside of the bar, proved the difference.

But this win proved a false dawn

Saints: Davis, Svensson, James (Cork 71), Lallana, Gillett, Schneiderlin, Surman, Holmes (John 84), McGoldrick, White (Wotton 67).

DERBY 2 SAINTS 3 (4-4 on aggregate, Derby won 4-3 on penalties)

May 15 2007

Most Saints fans remember this dramatic play-off semi-final when they recall knockout matches against Derby.

Trailing 2-1 from the first leg at St Mary’s three days earlier, Saints were soon 3-1 down on aggregate.

Darren Moore gave the home side a third-minute lead on the night, heading past the recalled Kelvin Davis and Rudi Skacel on the post after beating Jhon Viafara to a header from a corner.

But within a minute Viafara restored parity.

Goalkeeper Stephen Bywater came out of his area to head clear Moore’s underhit, headed back pass, but only to Viafara, who calmly sidefooted the ball from 25 yards into the empty net. Viafara lashed in his second at the near post, to make it 2-1 on the night and 3-3 on aggregate, on 54 minutes.

A Leon Best own goal put Derby back in front midway through the second half .

But a dramatic 89th minute strike from Grzegors Rasiak, from just inside the area after subs Inigo Idiakez and Djamel Belmadi combined, took the game to extra time and then penalties.

Saints were up against it when Best put the first spot kick wide. Andrew Surman, Rudi Skacel and Rasiak kept them in it but Derby were through to the final, when Idiakez skied Saints’ fifth in front of 5,000-plus Saints fans.

George Burley’s side dominated over the two legs against a Derby side that finished three places and nine points above them. But defending from set pieces was their undoing, as it had been for much of the season.

(Saints have only played one other knockout match at at Derby’s ‘new’ home - a 2-0 FA Cup third-round defeat during the Rams’ first season at Pride Park 20 years ago).

Saints: Davis, Pele, Baird, Makin (Belmadi 71), Cranie, Skacel, Guthrie (Idiakez 83), Viafara, Surman, Best, Saganowski (Rasiak 74)


August 6 2006

Gareth Bale scored a sensational first senior goal to equalise in the 62nd minute, whipping a left-footed free kick over the wall and into Lee Camp’s top left hand corner, after Seth Johnson had given Derby a 35th-minute lead

Seven minutes later, Bradley Wright-Phillips gave them the lead, smashing in a cross-shot. But in injury time Saints were denied their first opening day win since 1999, by Paul Peschisolido.

Saints: Davis, Pele, Baird, Lundekvam (Ostlund 6), R Skacel (Surman 89), Belmadi, Wright, Viafara, Rasiak, Fuller (Wright-Phillips 54), Bale


September 18 2005

Harry Redknapp was sent to the stands for dissent after blowing his top at referee Nigel Miller, who issued 11 yellow cards - including two to Saints defender Tomasz Hajto.

Seven Saints players were booked in all and, after Antti Niemi had saved a late penalty, the spot-kick had to be retaken – from which Inigo Idiakez equalised. Andrew Davies, another future Saint, gave Derby an 85th-minute lead before Ricardo Fuller secured a point with a 30-yard lob. Redknapp said: “We were absolutely robbed.”

Saints: Niemi, Higginbotham, Lundekvam, Hajto (s/o 86), Powell, Oakley, Kosowski (McCann 90), Quashie, Wise, Fuller (Delap 90)