Saints' wins on February 5th


Norman Dean bagged a hat-trick as Saints beat their great rivals at Fratton Park on their way to winning promotion to division one for the first time.

He opened the scoring midway through the first half from a John Sydenham cross and Martin Chivers doubled the lead two minutes later after his tenacity won the ball from the Pompey goalkeeper.

But Pompey pulled one back through a Brian Lewis header on the stroke of half-time and on the hour Albert McCann equalised for the home side, firing high into the net after getting the better of Terry Paine.

On 70 minutes, Paine and Jimmy Melia combined to set up Dean for Saints’ third and the former Corby Town striker completed his hat-trick following a Paine through ball in the 76th.

This match was the highlight of Dean’s Saints career.

He scored 11 goals in 18 appearances in his only season in the Saints first team as the club was promoted as runners-up behind Manchester City.

Dean moved to Cardiff City after being replaced by Ron Davies for Saints’ first season in the top flight.

He helped Cardiff reach the semi-finals of the Cup Winner’s Cup in 1968 and during the 2000s returned to Saints - as a security guard at Staplewood.

Saints: Forsyth, Hare, Williams, Wimshurst (Walker), Knapp, Huxford, Paine, Chivers Dean, Melia, Sydenham.

MANCHESTER UNITED 2 SAINTS 2: Saints won 4-2 on penalties (1992)

Stuart Gray stunned Old Trafford crowd by giving the visitors an eighth-minute lead with his only goal for Saints in this memorable FA Cup fourth-round replay.

Capitalising on indecision from Peter Schmeichel and Paul Parker, he made the most of Micky Adams’ pass.

Then Alan Shearer put Saints 2-0 up in the 22nd minute, getting the better of Parker and Gary Pallister to head in a Matt Le Tissier free kick.

Andrey Kanchelskis pulled one back before half-time after good work from Ryan Giggs. After a brave second-half rearguard, a deflection off Jeff Kenna presented Brian McClair with an injury-time equaliser.

Despite this being their third game in eight days, Saints held on in extra time and penalties from Neil Ruddock, Shearer, Barry Horne and Adams – with Le Tissier not needed to take the fifth - ensured their passage into round five before a quarter-final exit at Norwich City.

Saints: Flowers, Kenna Ruddock, Hall,Benali, Le Tissier, Horne, Cockerill, Gray (Maddison), Adams, Shearer.


Matt Oakley scored both goals in this FA Cup fourth round replay a week after signing a new contract en route to Saints’ first appearance in the final since 1976.

The midfielder gave Saints a 21st-minute lead, rifling in a left-footed half-volley from 25 yards. Millwall equalised against the run of play, when low cross by Steve Claridge was met by Steven Reid in the 37th minute. He scored at the second attempt after Antti Niemi saved his initial effort.

Oakley scored the winner in the 12th minute of extra time, firing low through a packed penalty area after a one-two with Svensson. Relatively straightforward wins against Norwich, Wolves and Watford saw Saints reach the final, which they lost to Arsenal.

Saints: Niemi, Telfer, Benali, Oakley, M Svensson, Lundekvam, Marsden, A Svensson, Fernandes, (Ormerod), Tessem (Davies), Beattie.

SAINTS 2 WEST HAM 1 (2000)

Marian Pahars began the Glenn Hoddle era by drilling in a fourth-minute cross-shot. After a Frank Lampard equaliser midway through the second half, a Gary Charles own goal from a Jo Tessem cross gave Saints the points.


Malcolm Macdonald, aka Super Mac, gave the Geordies a 37th-minute lead at The Dell.

But David Peach equalised two minutes later after glancing in a cross from Paul Gilchrist.

A wonderful diving header from Mick Channon from Paine’s cross put Saints in front just past the hour.

And in the 78th minute Hughie Fisher fired in a left-footed 20-yarder against a Newcastle side reduced to ten men by Tommy Cassidy’s sending off.

But the season would end in relegation for Saints after eight years in the top flight.


Steve Williams curled in a 36th-miniute beauty and Nick Holmes fired a cracker into the top of the far corner at the start of the second half.

Danny Wallace hooked in the third and Steve Moran cut inside a challenge before driving in the fourth past Chris Woods .