Daily Echo:

Saints produced a stunning second half comeback to defeat Tottenham 2-1 at St Mary’s.

Yan Valery and James Ward-Prowse repeated their goalscoring heroics against Manchester United the previous week to secure a valuable three points on a day when Cardiff also won.

Spurs had dominated the first half, hitting the woodwork twice and netting through Harry Kane, while Saints had been lucky to keep all 11 men on the field.

But victory means they now go into a three week break high on confidence and with every chance of survival.

Tottenham’s attacking threat was evident even in the opening stages as a simple Dele Alli flick-on presented Harry Kane with half a chance which he was quick to pounce upon but half volleyed over.

Moments later Kane had another sight of goal thanks to Christian Eriksen’s pass. However, the ball struck Kane on the head and shoulder as tried to let it drift over him and he was forced into a difficult effort from distance that sailed over.

The pattern continued with Spurs by far the dominant force in an attacking sense.

Eric Dier was the next to have a go but sidefooted well over the bar.

Saints were almost their own worst enemies on 21 minutes as they failed to clear and were robbed of the ball. Kane got in a cross from the right by-line which was met by the sliding Maya Yoshida who put it against his own post with the follow-up sticking under his body.

There was more good fortune heading Saints’ way when it seemed Oriol Romeu should have picked up a second yellow card when Danny Rose went down outside the area, only for referee Kevin Friend to book Yan Valery who was close by instead.

Eriksen stepped up and hit a 20 yard free kick over the wall but against the top of the crossbar.

The resistance was eventually broken on 26 minutes as Spurs deservedly took the lead.

Kane started and finished the move, laying the ball off to Dele Alli and then receiving the return pass, controlling and finishing through the legs of Angus Gunn who appealed in vain for offside.

Nathan Redmond tried to respond with a driving run forward but his shot from distance was high and wide.

Spurs went straight up the other end and forced Gunn to turn over from Alli’s fierce effort from outside the area.

Gunn had to push away one more shot from Eriksen before half time but when the whistle went Saints were grateful to somehow only be one goal behind despite having been totally dominated for most of the first period.

Hasenhuttl made a double change at the break with the game only going one way.

Josh Sims and Shane Long came on to replace Charlie Austin to add pace up front and Romeu, who was in danger of getting sent off.

Sims had an immediate impact with a shot from just outside the area that was fielded by Huge Lloris.

Kane tested Gunn again six minutes after the restart as he picked his way through and bent a shot towards the far corner that the keeper turned wide diving to his left.

Saints were at least in the game and Redmond hit the side netting after taking a couple of touches from Long’s crossfield pass.

Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg was the next to threaten as he got the ball onto his left foot in the box but sliced off target.

Saints had appeals for a penalty turned down as the follow-through from Jan Vertonghen’s clearance back over his shoulder saw him catch the head of Sims. Nothing was given but it appeared just outside the box.

Moments later Saints blew a terrific chance as Valery’s right by-line cut back found Redmond six yards out but he put into the side netting.

Spurs were still hard to contain on the counter attack and gave another warning as Kane had a tricky chance he put over.

Saints were forced into a third change with Long injured in a collision with Vertonghen and Stuart Armstrong coming on to replace him with Redmond playing up front.

It proved not to matter as Saints scored twice in four minutes to turn the game on its head.

The first on 77 minutes was created down the left with Bertrand feeding Armstrong. His low cross remarkably went through three Spurs defenders before finding its way to Valery at the far post.

It was far from a classic finish as the right wing back scuffed the ball into the ground, but it did the job as that meant it bounced up and beat Lloris at his near post.

Saints appealed that Kyle Walker-Peters should be sent off as he fouled Armstrong when the midfielder looked like getting a chance but it was just a booking.

However, Ward-Prowse made them pay.

He stepped up and hit the central 25 yard free kick over the wall and past Lloris who dived to his right but couldn’t get to it.

Spurs put Saints under some late pressure but there was no stopping Hasenhuttl’s men from securing a victory which was loudly celebrated at St Mary’s.