Daily Echo:

Saints signed off for the summer with a disappointing 1-1 draw against bottom of the table Huddersfield.

There was a party atmosphere at St Mary’s as the fans celebrated the Premier League survival masterminded by Ralph Hasenhuttl.

But the drab draw against The Terriers meant Saints ended the campaign having taken just five points out of the last possible 21 and a run of five matches without a victory to finish in 16th.

Hasenhuttl wanted Saints to end with a flourish and reversed the changes he made at West Ham the previous week.

It seemed he would get his wish when Nathan Redmond celebrated his Player of the Season award with a stunning goal before half time.

But a flat second half display and a terrible error from Angus Gunn meant it finished honours even.

Saints started the game on the front foot with Huddersfield looking a little bit of a mess.

But it was Angus Gunn who was the first keeper called into action as the Terriers made a rare foray into the Saints half with Karlan Grant getting in a shot that the keeper was able to field fairly comfortably.

Shane Long nearly produced another goal in bizarre circumstances on 12 minutes.

Huddersfield keeper Joel Coleman came out of his area to clear a routine punt up the pitch but got caught in two minds whether to whack it clear or pass to the defender to his left. In the end he just hit the ball against the defender and it deflected just behind Long.

The striker quickly retreated and lobbed it back over Coleman who was a long way off his line, but it was just off target.

Aaron Mooy led a quick counterattack as a reminder to Saints and saw his shot deflect narrowly wide.

Moments later Terence Kongolo had a free header from a corner 12 yards but put it well over the bar.

The game was becoming increasingly open.

Though Saints undoubtedly looked like they had the extra quality, they were often leaving themselves exposed to counter attacks with Huddersfield prepared to pour forward whenever they got the chance.

For all their dominance there was a sense of a lack of intensity from Saints, particularly in the final third, where there were a lot of heavy touches and misplaced passes at crucial moments.

Saints were becoming increasingly sloppy in possession as the half wore to a conclusion and Angus Gunn was relieved to see Juninho Bacuna’s long range drive whistle just over the bar.

Saints did eventually take the lead thanks to a moment of magic from Redmond.

With four minutes to go until half time Redmond picked up the ball on the left and cut across the face of the box before unleashing a swerving, dipping right footed shot that bent past the Coleman diving to his left and into the top corner.

There could have been another before the break as Redmond squared to Danny Ings but the striker wanted too many touches in the box and Huddersfield were able to block his eventual shot.

Hasenhuttl made a change at half time with Matt Targett replacing Shane Long as Saints went to three centre halves with Ryan Bertrand tucking in and Targett at left wing back.

The new shape nearly paid instant dividends as Ward-Prowse took on a shot from 20 yards that Coleman did well to tip on to the bar.

But it was Huddersfield who scored next in a horror moment for Gunn.

He rolled a goal kick to Bertrand on the left side of the area and was given the ball back. Gunn was far too casual in taking a touch before attempting to clear and was caught in possession by Alex Prichard who then had the simple task of rolling the ball into an empty net to equalise.

Both teams threatened to grab the lead with an Ings header well blocked while Christopher Schindler’s effort went into the ground and bounced over and Pritchard drilled wide from distance.

Charlie Austin came agonisingly close to giving Saints the win in stoppage time as his right footed shot from the edge of the area curled just wide of the far post but in the end they had to settle for a final day draw.