Saints confirmed their worst ever home start to a league season as they were beaten 2-1 by Everton.

Ralph Hasenhuttl’s side have taken just one point from their opening six home league matches and are now marooned in the bottom three with Everton pulling clear courtesy of their win.

In the next home game after the 9-0 defeat to Leicester, Saints put in a woeful first half display where they failed to have a single shot and were fortunate to only trail to an early Tom Davies goal.

Danny Ings briefly gave Saints hope with an equaliser just after half time but Richarlison’s goal meant another unhappy day at home heading into the November international break.

Saints got off to the worst possible start as they conceded a goal after just four minutes in a depressingly dreadful fashion.

Gylfi Sigurdsson played in an outswinging corner from the right that was met by a flicked header from Mason Holgate who was entirely unmarked.

It found Tom Davies lurking at the far post and he simply slammed a header straight past Alex McCarthy from close range.

Saints tried to get their foot on the ball and recover from the shock of conceding early and the biggest encouragement for them was being up against an Everton side that did appear susceptible at the back.

However, the Toffees’ attacking power did look a real danger to Saints, particularly on the counter attack.

It could have been 2-0 on 18 minutes as Cenk Tosun flicked the ball off to Theo Walcott, continued his run and was picked out by a lofted ball back in his direction but from a few yards out he headed over the bar.

Another set-piece caused havoc in the Saints defence and Davies was lurking at the far post again but this time headed off target as the ball skidded up to him quickly.

Holgate was the next to have a go as he tried to catch McCarthy off his line with a shot from just inside the Saints half but the keeper was alert to the danger.

McCarthy had to be on his guard again on 29 minutes as Davies mishit a cross from the right that was dipping under the bar before the keeper turned it over.

The game was all Everton as Saints sat deeper and deeper.

Lucas Digne tried to find the second goal the Toffees had been searching for as he moved the ball onto his right foot but shot off target.

When the half time whistle went Saints were booed off having not managed a single shot.

Hasenhuttl made a change at the break with Sofiane Boufal replacing Cedric with Djenepo dropping to left wing back.

There were ironic cheers when Boufal got in a first Saints shot of the game from just outside the box even though it was a comfortable save for Jordan Pickford.

And they were even louder on 50 minutes as Saints equalised.

Boufal created the goal as he got past Morgan Schneiderlin to the right by-line and fired in a low cross which deflected kindly to Danny Ings who had the simple task of turning into an empty net from a yard out.

McCarthy was forced into a save at the other end as Everton looked to hit back and was strong over to turn over Sigurdsson’s drive from just inside the area.

Tosun might have done better as he had a chance to shoot inside the Saints box but dragged his effort wide of the far post.

He got a shot on target on 62 minutes with another free header from a corner but it was straight at McCarthy.

The game was very frantic but also exciting and James Ward-Prowse forced Pickford into a good save diving to his right to keep out a left sided free kick.

A long throw caught Saints out on 73 minutes as it was allowed to bounce through to Holgate but his flicked header went over.

Everton went for it with Dominic Calvert-Lewin and Alex Iwobi coming on for Tosun and Walcott and just a minute later they retook the lead.

The question marks over the Saints wing backs resurfaced as Djibril Sidibe got past Djenepo to swing in a cross from the right and Richarlison tracked in from the left to meet the ball at the far post with a first time finish.

They almost scored again moments later as Iwobi hit a shot on the turn that took a deflection and dribbled just wide.

Iwobi threatened again as he hit a volley from a deep free kick and this time it deflected off of Armstrong and against the post.

That proved to be the final chance of the game as Saints looked dejected as the boos rang out around St Mary’s and the wait for a home win goes on.