SAINTS gave away a two-goal lead at St Mary’s to lose 3-2 against Wolves.

Here are five things we learned from the game.

1. Saints’ unbeaten run comes to an end:

Daily Echo: James Ward-Prowse watches on as Wolves celebrate their winJames Ward-Prowse watches on as Wolves celebrate their win

Saturday’s defeat was the club’s first since they lost to West Ham back in December.

Since that match, Ralph Hasenhuttl’s side embarked on a run that saw them win five and draw one of their following six games.

However, a second-half collapse saw Wolves hand the club its first defeat of 2020.

2. It was a case of déjà vu for Jan Bednarek:

Daily Echo: Jan Bednarek finds the top cornerJan Bednarek finds the top corner

The last time Bednarek scored it ended with Saints throwing away a two-goal against Chelsea, a game they went on to lose 3-2.

Bednarek took his finish nicely, finding the top corner from a James Ward-Prowse free kick that arrived at the far post.

3. Saints missed an opportunity:

Daily Echo: Raul Jimenez strikes Wolves' winnerRaul Jimenez strikes Wolves' winner

At one point during Saturday’s match, Saints were 10 points clear of the relegation zone.

They ended the night six points above it.

Although this isn’t the time to panic, largely because of the fantastic run they’ve been on, the squad will be kicking themselves for not seeing the game out.

4. Shane Long showed his value:

Daily Echo: Shane Long celebrates his goalShane Long celebrates his goal

Long netted his first goal of the season to help ease the burden weighing on Danny Ings’ shoulders.

The striker, who has played a key role in Ings’ goalscoring run, would have only boosted his chances of landing a new contract.

Long’s current deal expires in the summer, with Hasenhuttl previously saying contracts won’t be discussed until the team reach 36 points.

5. VAR played its part:

Daily Echo: VAR awards Wolves a penaltyVAR awards Wolves a penalty

The video technology was used frequently throughout the second half and overturned the on-field decision to award Wolves a penalty.

Referee Darren England thought Jack Stephens had won the ball when he challenged Jonny inside the box, only for VAR to show it was a clear foul.

There were also checks on Wolves’ first and third goals for handball, although they were both given.