SAINTS’ match with Norwich this afternoon will NOT go ahead after the Premier League postponed football until the beginning of April.

As it stands, the Daily Echo is led to believe that there aren’t any Saints players showing symptoms of coronavirus.

Up until late Thursday night, the fixture was set to be played in front of a packed house at Carrow Road after the UK Government said it wouldn’t be bringing a halt to mass gatherings.

But it’s now been revealed that the next two weekends of matches will be postponed with the situation being reassessed following the international break.

In terms of next weekend, this won’t affect Saints as their game with Arsenal was put back because of the Gunners’ FA Cup commitments.

A statement on the club’s website said: “Southampton Football Club’s game against Norwich City has been postponed, following the Premier League’s confirmation it is suspending matches in light of the COVID-19 outbreak.

“Ralph Hasenhüttl’s squad will now not be travelling after the decision was taken to put the season on pause, with the intention of games resuming from April 4th, subject to medical advice and conditions at the time.”

Late Thursday night, The Premier League issued a press release saying it would be business as usual, although Arsenal then revealed manager Mikel Arteta has contracted coronavirus and that their game with Brighton was off.

Chelsea then released a statement confirming Callum Hudson-Odoi was also suffering from Covid-19 which has led to the Stamford Bridge self-isolating.

This led to the Premier League issuing a second statement, where they said they would hold an emergency meeting Friday morning to reassess the situation.

Everton’s entire first-team squad and coaching staff are also undertaking a period of self-isolation after a first-team player reported symptoms consistent with coronavirus.

Bournemouth then followed the Toffees with a statement of their own, saying: “AFC Bournemouth can confirm that five of its employees are currently self-isolating, having displayed symptoms consistent with COVID-19.

“Goalkeeper Artur Boruc, along with four first team members of staff, are self-isolating in line with Government and Public Health guidelines.

“This is a precautionary measure as, at this stage, none have tested positive for Coronavirus.”

Pressure mounted on the Premier League to call off this weekend’s round of fixtures and they finally baulked, announcing there wouldn’t be any games until after the international break.

This means that, as it stands, Saints’ match away against Watford on Saturday, 4 April is set to go ahead.

However, this is subject to change as coronavirus continues to spread around the country.

This is the Premier League’s statement: “Following a meeting of Shareholders today, it was unanimously decided to suspend the Premier League with the intention of returning on 4 April, subject to medical advice and conditions at the time.”

Premier League chief executive Richard Masters said: “Above all, we wish Mikel Arteta and Callum Hudson-Odoi speedy recoveries, and everyone else affected by COVID-19.

“In this unprecedented situation, we are working closely with our clubs, Government, The FA and EFL and can reassure everyone the health and welfare of players, staff and supporters are our priority.”