DANNY Ings fell just one goal short of winning this season’s Golden Boot after he scored in Saints’ comeback 3-1 win over Sheffield United.

Che Adams also continued his impressive run by netting twice against his former side.

Sheffield had initially taken the lead through John Lundstram but then crumbled in a second-half display that saw them concede three times.

Saints also climbed to 11th in the table, finishing the season on 52 points, after Everton were beaten at home by relegated  Bournemouth.

Ralph Hasenhuttl made just one change to the team that beat Bournemouth but there was no place in the squad for Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg.

Despite being fit for the tie, Hasenhuttl opted against picking him as he looks set to leave the club this summer.

The only change to the starting XI saw Che Adams preferred to Shane Long who had to settle for a place on the bench.

Sheffield United were gifted the first chance of the match after a lapse piece of defending from the home side’s Jannik Vestergaard.

Ex-Saint Billy Sharp had his 12th minute shot saved before following that up with another effort moments later which ended up in the side netting.

Stuart Armstrong then went down unchallenged in the middle of the pitch which led to the Scottish international receiving treatment on the sideline before coming back on.

Chris Wilder’s Blades took the lead in the 26th minute when a ball from Sharp was met by Lundstram’s laces and drilled past Alex McCarthy.

Hasenhuttl’s side were dealt another blow just before the half-hour mark as Armstrong was unable to continue and had to be replaced by Will Smallbone.

The visitors nicked the ball off Kyle Walker-Peters and then broke in numbers with the chance eventually falling to Lundstram.

But he was unable to double his tally after McCarthy pulled out a save from the top drawer.

Saints responded to Sheffield’s opportunity with a chance of their own in the 34th minute, only for Ings’ shot to be deflected past the post.

Hasenhuttl’s side started the second half on top and were rewarded for their efforts when Adams’ brilliant strike drew them level.

The striker picked the ball up inside the box, took a touch and then sent it flying into the top corner in the 50th minute to bag his third goal in six games.

Some clever passing around the Blades’ area saw Smallbone look to curl the ball beyond Dean Henderson and into the top corner, but he was unable to keep the height of his shot down.

After keeping Saints in the game during the first half McCarthy came close to gifting the visitors a second goal.

His loose back pass fell to Sharp, who then charged in on goal, only to have his opportunity scuppered by Oriol Romeu.

McCarthy was again under pressure in the next wave of play as it looked like he’d handled the ball outside the area but the game was allowed to play on.

Sheffield United’s Jack Robinson produced a heroic piece of defending to deny Adams doubling his tally from six yards out in the 63rd minute.

But the club’s £15million man didn’t have to wait long for another chance – and this time he doubled his tally.

Ings’ 71st minute shot was blocked, with the ball then falling to his teammate inside the Blades’ area.

Just like he did with his equaliser, Adams took a touch before letting rip from close range to leave Manchester United loanee Henderson no chance.

Saints were awarded a penalty in the final 10 minutes after second-half substitute Oliver Norwood fouled Ings inside the box.

Ings struck his spot-kick into the back of the net to make amends for last Sunday’s miss and to take his Premier League tally to 22.