IAN Holland secured his maiden first-class five-wicket haul, but Hampshire's dominance against Surrey was thwarted by the rain on day two at Arundel in the Bob Willis Trophy.

All-rounder Holland, who had taken four wickets on the first day, added Laurie Evans and Gus Atkinson to his total to take his analysis to six for 39.

Sussex loanee Evans had scored his first half-century for Surrey since 2010 but his side remained in trouble on 130 for eight. However rain only allowed 16 overs on day two with play still in the first innings.

Holland has had a unique cricketing career.

He was born in Wisconsin, USA, brought up in Australia, played age-group cricket for Victoria, was released then earned back a contract by winning reality TV show Cricket Superstar - where he was judged by Aussie great Allan Border.

He played once for the Victoria state side in the Sheffield Shield before being picked up by Hampshire in 2017 – for whom he has batted throughout the order in 36 matches – and earned an international bow for the USA last year.

Holland was forced to wait to make the morning breakthrough as Evans and Jamie Smith continued their partnership, with conditions slightly less conducive for similar movement to the opening day.

Evans is back at Surrey on a short-term loan, due to large scale unavailability, having spent five years as a professional between 2005 and 2010.

The 32-year-old had returned with a solid 41 against Essex last week but went one better to post his first first-class half-century for the county for a decade.

After 11 morning overs, Holland did make a breakthrough when Evans, who needed 64 balls for his adventurous fifty, was lbw for 65.

Evans had added 84 with Smith, and was quickly followed back to the boundary edge.

Tom Scriven, on his first-class debut, found lovely movement away from Smith to take the outside edge, through to Lewis McManus – Scriven’s maiden professional wicket.

Atkinson was Holland’s sixth victim when he was leg before – with the covers coming on four balls later, with lunch taken 45 minutes early.

But that rain continued, and got heavier, throughout the early afternoon to force umpires Ben Debenham and Billy Taylor to abandon play at 2.20pm.

“The rain was on the forecast but it is still frustrating," said Hampshire all-rounder Scriven.

“It was a great feeling to get my first first-class wicket and it was an important one in the circumstances of the game.

“It was a nice ball. It had a bit of late shape and it got him driving which is what I wanted him to do, and it was one of those days where you get the nick.

“I thought I bowled nicely. First game and first spell there were a lot of enjoyable nerves."

He added: “Dutchy (Holland) bowled beautifully to get his wickets, it was great bowling and it is a shame that a lot of this game has been taken out by the weather.

“Any first-team cricket is a big opportunity. You want to play well in front of the coaches and for yourself to prove you can play at this level.”

Surrey's Evans added: "Hampshire deserve credit. They bowled well and put the ball in the right areas and there is a bit of lateral movement off the wicket and a bit of low bounce.

“It felt like 220-250 would be a good score. With our bowling attack, you never know. We have some quality in our line up."