DANNY Ings’s early opener ensured Saints recorded their first victory of the 2020-21 Premier League campaign with a 1-0 victory at Burnley.

The England frontman struck with five minutes on the clock against his former club – the goal on his old stomping ground gave the visitors their first victory at Turf Moor since 2007.

Saints boss Ralph Hasenhuttl made just one solitary change from the side who suffered a 5-2 defeat to Tottenham last time out.

Centre-half Jack Stephens dropped to the bench in place of Jannik Vestergaard, who came in for his first league start of the season. Nathan Redmond remained out with an ankle ligament injury.

Burnley handed a first start to midfielder Dale Stephens, who joined from Brighton earlier this week – there was no place for James Tarkowski or former Saint Jay Rodriguez through injury.

But it was ex-Claret Danny Ings who took just four minutes to net against his former club, as Saints found an electric start.

Keeping hold of possession, the visitors found their way through the Burnley backline when Kyle Walker-Peters released Che Adams on the right-hand side of the box.

Adams’s sublime reverse pass found Ings in the right spot, who made no mistake in slotting home his third goal of the season.

Saints continued to see plenty of possession and could have had a second with 18 minutes gone.

After Moussa Djenepo slid in Ryan Bertrand down the left, the defender pulled the ball back for Adams, who failed to keep down his effort from inside the area.

Burnley almost fashioned their first chance midway through the opening period.

After failing to connect with an overhead kick attempt after a cross from the left, Matej Vydra picked himself up and struck high and wide on the follow-up.

The hosts then had claims for a penalty waved away by referee Andre Marriner. A long ball forward found Burnley frontman Chris Wood, who went to ground in the box under the challenge of Jan Bednarek.

But, following a VAR review, there was nothing given.

Sean Dyche’s side then almost found a leveller through a set-piece. After a foul by Stuart Armstrong out wide, home skipper Ashley Westwood sent a dipping free-kick narrowly wide of the far post.

The hosts fashioned a chance within seconds of the restart. A ball from deep found the head of New Zealander Wood, whose effort across goal was gathered by Alex McCarthy in the Saints goal.

A talking point then came just before the hour mark. Wood had the ball in the net but was flagged offside in the build-up.

Burnley continued to push forward however and almost found the net through Charlie Taylor.

The former Leeds man stung the palms of McCarthy after Dwight McNeil’s cross was half-cleared by Vestergaard.

Vydra then had the chance to take aim from range after Saints lost possession from a throw-in on the left.

The Czech striker looked to lob McCarthy after spotting him off his line but the attempt was poor.

Hasenhuttl swapped Djenepo and Adams with Nathan Tella and Michael Obafemi with 13 minutes remaining.

Ings then had the ball in the net for a second occasion in stoppage time but was flagged offside.

It was not to matter however as the visitors held firm to ensure a vital three points.

Burnley: Pope, Bardsley, Dunne, Long, Taylor, McNeil, Stephens, Westwood, Brownhill, Wood, Vydra.

Unused subs: Lowton, Pieters, Thomas, Benson, Goodridge, Driscoll, Peacock-Farrell (g/k).

Booked: Bardsley.

Saints: McCarthy, Walker-Peters, Vestergaard, Bednarek, Bertrand, Armstrong, Romeu, Ward-Prowse, Djenepo (Tella, 77), Ings, Adams (Obafemi, 77).

Unused subs: Stephens, Long, Valery, Smallbone, Forster (g/k).

Booked: None.

Referee: Andre Marriner.

VAR: Mike Dean.