SAINTS were left to settle for a point against high-flying West Ham United in a goalless draw at St Mary’s.

Substitute Armando Broja came closest to breaking the deadlock for the hosts in the second half on the south coast, his strike cannoning off the upright with 10 minutes left.

West Ham were however reduced to 10 men late on, after Michail Antonio picked up a second booking. 

The draw means Saints are still yet to win in the Premier League this season, with three points coming from their opening four games.

Boss Ralph Hasenhuttl made two changes from the Saints XI which drew 2-2 at Newcastle before the international break.

Romain Perraud returned at left-back in place of Kyle Walker-Peters, who dropped to the bench.

There was also a place in the side for Nathan Redmond ahead of Che Adams, with the hosts switching to a 4-1-4-1 formation from the off.

Brazilian centre-back Lyanco was named on the bench.

West Ham, who went into the contest with seven points from three games, named an unchanged starting line-up which included former Saint and Premier League player of the month for August, Michail Antonio.

But it was Saints who had the first strike on goal within the opening four minutes when Redmond’s neat through ball picked out the run of Adam Armstrong.

The former Blackburn frontman drilled an effort from an acute angle which was well gathered by Irons keeper Lukasz Fabianski diving to his right.

West Ham’s first real opportunity came on 14 minutes. After Oriol Romeu’s sliding challenge on Said Benrahma earned him a caution, up stepped Aaron Cresswell to line up the resulting free-kick.

But after his initial effort was blocked by Saints’ wall, the left-back’s follow-up shot was blazed into the stand.

Back came Saints with gusto midway through the opening half. A precise pass from Mohammed Elyounoussi allowed Moussa Djenepo the chance to cut on to his left foot. The Malian’s strike from inside the box was blocked to safety by the visitors.

Tino Livramento’s miscued cross then forced Fabianski to cling on at the back post moments later.

Saints did not have the lion’s share of possession in the opening period but did have more openings. After James Ward-Prowse’s corner was half-cleared, Djenepo fired over on the follow-up.

It was West Ham who almost broke the deadlock within two minutes of the second half. After Romeu lost the ball high up the pitch, the visitors were able to counter through former Brentford man Benrahma.

His clever backheel found Antonio, whose low fizzer was parried away by Alex McCarthy at his near post.

Both sides then came close to finding the opener within a minute of each other. A dangerous West Ham corner to the back post was failed to be converted by defender Angelo Ogbonna.

Saints then went up the other end and, after Armstrong played in Redmond, the forward saw his effort charged down before firing wide with his left foot.

McCarthy had to be alert as West Ham started to put the pressure on. The home keeper showed great reactions to tip over Jarrod Bowen’s volley from close range – the forward making a great connection on the turn.

Armstrong was then replaced by Chelsea loanee Broja for Saints – and the Albanian almost had an instant impact.

Having outpaced Ogbonna in a footrace down the right, his cross for Elyounoussi, who had joined him on the counter, was stabbed away.

Broja then went alone on the break with 10 minutes remaining. Charging at Ogbonna, the youngster’s daisy-cutter beat Fabianski but fell to safety after coming off the post.

Saints piled on the pressure late on, but were left to settle for a share of the spoils after Broja’s header was cleared off the line by Declan Rice.

West Ham were then down to 10 men in stoppage time after Antonio, who had been booked earlier for tussling with Jack Stephens, picked up a second caution for a late challenge on Djenepo. 

Saints: McCarthy, Livramento, Stephens, Salisu, Perraud, Romeu (Diallo, 53), Ward-Prowse, Elyounoussi, Djenepo, Redmond, Armstrong (Broja, 74).

Unused subs: Bednarek, Valery, Lyanco, Walker-Peters, Tella, Adams, Forster (g/k).

Booked: Romeu, Stephens, Salisu, Hasenhuttl.

West Ham: Fabianski, Coufal, Dawson, Ogbonna, Cresswell, Rice, Soucek, Bowen (Yarmolenko, 82), Fornals, Benrahma (Vlasic, 63), Antonio.

Unused subs: Diop, Zouma, Fredericks, Kral, Noble, Lanzini, Areola (g/k).

Booked: Antonio (2), Rice.

Sent off: Antonio

Referee: David Coote.

VAR: Martin Atkinson.