EASTLEIGH bounced back from a midweek disappointment to claim a dramatic late 2-1 win at Wealdstone, in the National League.

Veteran striker Tyrone Barnett had struck a superb opener on the turn deep in the first-half before the solid Spitfires defence, before Joshua Umerah’s effort from outside the area equalised with five to play.

Ben House decided a point wasn’t enough, though, hitting the most impressive goal of the afternoon just minutes later with a half-volley after it had bounced up to him on the corner of the box – sealing all three points.

Manager Ben Strevens made four changes to his side that slipped to defeat at strugglers Southend United midweek, with Barnett, on-loan Christian Maghoma and Vince Harper returning to the team.

But the big headline was centre-back Tom Broadbent making his first start for the Spitfires after recovering from injuries that plagued his pre-season – the former Army man joining from Swindon this year.

These changes saw a switch from the 4-4-2 to a five-at-the-back, with the traditional football formation only lasting a few matches and unsatisfactory performances before Strevens made the change.

And it looked like it could have been some of the same issues, after the opening exchanges saw Eastleigh in the more advanced positions but again finding difficulty producing a bit of quality end product.

That changed after 35 minutes of play, when House was denied what looked to be a serious penalty shout after his ball into the area struck the hand of an approaching defender, but the referee adjudged it not to be a foul.

The ball found its way back to Eastleigh feet and Barnett, taking down a bouncing ball on the edge area and striking on the turn – skidding low into the bottom left corner and beyond George Wickens in the Wealdstone net.

It was the 35-year-old forward’s first goal of the 2021-22 campaign, the first-half ended with advantage Eastleigh.

Left-wing-back Harper went on a storming run and tried to bicycle kick a lofted one-two in from inside the area, after he head finally unleashed the ball to Harry Pritchard, but unfortunately it was knocked behind before it reached him.

House was through on goal as a hapless Stones defence failed to deal with a long ball forward from keeper McDonnell, but for a contentious sliding challenge that stopped him deep in the opposition penalty box.

As more positive news came for the loud Spitfires support, midfielder Cav Miley made a return from injury and replaced captain Danny Hollands to try and see the game out.

House and substitute Danny Whitehall had a couple of chances to add themselves, with defence splitting passes from Broadbent and Christian Maghoma receiving little to no resistance on their way though.

But after a period where Eastleigh just couldn’t get a touch on the ball, substitute Joshua Umerah sent a low piledriver from outside the area across the outstretched McDonnell and in to equalise just over five minutes from time.

That wasn’t to be the final action: House’s half-volley from the angle of the opposition box fizzed back past the diving Wickens and sealed a dramatic win on the road, and a bounce-back from a midweek letdown.

Eastleigh XI: McDonnell; Hare, Maghoma, Boyce, Broadbent, Harper; Hollands © (Miley, 70’), Whelan, Pritchard (Hill, 87’); Barnett (Whitehall 77’), House

Unused subs: Kelly, Hesketh

Wealdstone XI: Wickens, Cook ©, Charles, Stevens, Lewis, Eleftheriou, Tavares, Dyer, Elito, Bird, Cooper

Subs: Wishart, Fasanmade, Buse, Umerah, Mundle-Smith

Attendance: 1276