SHOLING secured promotion to the Southern Premier League by defeating Hamworthy United 2-0 in the play-off final.

1,289 people watched on at the Imperial Homes stadium as Lee Wort and Dan Mason scored minutes either each side of the hour mark to fire the Boatmen to the seventh tier for the first time.

Sholing number one Ryan Gosney returned in between the sticks after serving a suspension, the hosts also swapping out Dan Miller for Jake Cope.

Hammers named the same side that defeated Evesham United 3-0 in the previous round, with Sholing winning their semi-final 2-1 over Wimborne Town.

Such was the level of interest in the fixture kick-off had to be delayed by 10 minutes to allow all fans into the ground.

Early on Dan Mason flicked a throw-in into a dangerous area, no Sholing player able to turn the ball into the back of the net.

Hammers almost turned a counterattack into a goal, captain Sam Griffin’s cross finding Cam Munn at the back stick.

However, the attacking midfielder was unable to get a shot off, being forced to double back on himself in order to fling a tame effort at Gosney.

There was panic for the away side when Harvey Wright attempted to head the ball back to keeper Tommy Scott, the defender sending the ball narrowly past the post and out for a corner.

Shortly after the hosts thought they had taken the lead when Rob Flooks headed home Cope’s free kick. However, the offside flag was raised before the ball had hit the back of the net, keeping scores level.

Controversy arose when Gosney appeared to handle the ball outside the box, the goalie unable to control the ball before spilling it. No foul was awarded, much to the annoyance of the Hamworthy bench.

Billy Walker was called into to making a sliding intervention to block Brad Targett’s effort, with little separating the two sides prior to the break.

Sholing looked more dangerous in the opening exchanges of the second period.

Tony Rolls had to clear before a ball over the top bounced into the goal, keeper Scott failing to clear.

Shortly before the hour mark, the hosts found their goal. Dan Mason fired in a low ball across the Hammers goalmouth, Wort arriving to blast home the opener.

It was a quick-fire double for Sholing, former Cherries youngster Cope touching the ball down for Dan Mason to fire into the bottom right from outside the box.

The two-goal cushion proved insurmountable for Hammers, who could not quite muster a proper response.

Harvey Wright had Hamworthy's best chance, the defender blasting over from close range in the last minute.

Sholing: Gosney, Cuthbertson, McLean, Wagstaffe (Roundell, 81), Flooks, Nicholls, Targett (Makhloufi, 87), B Mason, D Mason, Wort, Cope (Robinson, 85).

Unused subs: Rose, Widger (g/k).

Booked: Byron Mason, Wort.

Hamworthy: Scott, Rolls, Clarke (Ramos, 72), Wilcock (Nixon, 81), H Wright, Walker, Hodge (Devlin, 68), S Wright, Fletcher, Munn, Griffin.

Unused subs: Taylor, Matthews.

Booked: S Wright, Munn.