SAINTS boosted their survival chances tonight with a 3-0 win that put a huge dent in Ipswich's promotion bid.

Two goals from Jason Euell - his first of the season - and one from young substitute Matthew Paterson secured victory for the Saints in the Coca-Cola Championship clash at Portman Road.

Saints also had two goals disallowed in a match they dominated in blustery conditions.

But Mark Wotte's men remain in the Championship relegation zone, though they only trail fourth from bottom Blackpool by two points and have a game in hand over the Seasiders.

Ipswich boss Jim Magilton brought in Pim Balkestein for Moritz Volz, who was ruled out with a groin strain, from the weekend loss at Preston.

For Southampton, Morgan Schneiderlin replaced the injured Adam Lallana in the side that beat Cardiff.

The visitors started brightly and had the first effort on goal when Andrew Surman's 20-yard drive was deflected wide.

Marek Saganowski nearly broke the deadlock after latching on to a long ball from Schneiderlin but the forward's tame lob fell straight into the arms of Ipswich goalkeeper Richard Wright.

Ipswich had another let-off in the 29th minute when referee Andy D'Urso disallowed Jan-Paul Saeijs' header from a Surman free-kick for a foul on Ipswich defender Balkestein.

But Euell finally made the breakthrough a minute later, heading home at the near-post from another Surman free-kick.

Norris then had a lob cleared off the line after Kelvin Davis punched away. Defender Alex Bruce saw his shot deflected on to the cross bar for Ipswich.

On the stroke of half-time, Jon Stead went close with an acrobatic attempt from a Gareth McAuley knock down.

Magilton made a double substitution at the break, bringing on Kevin Lisbie and Jonathan Walters for Stead and Luciano Civelli.

But the visitors continued to dominate, with David McGoldrick stinging Wright's hands with a 30-yard drive.

For Ipswich, Balkestein headed over from six yards following a McAuley knock down from a corner.

Chris Perry knocked the ball into the net from a Simon Gillett corner in the 70th minute but D'Urso had already blown for a foul.

Davis was called into action for the first time in the second half in the 74th minute to tip a Lisbie shot past the post.

And it needed a last-ditch challenge from Perry to deny David Wright as the full-back shot from close range.

At the other end, Wright saved sharply at the feet of Saganowski after the striker jinked past two Ipswich defenders.

Euell then missed a glorious chance to seal victory but shot wide from close range after good work from Surman and McGoldrick.

But Euell made amends in the 85th minute after latching on to a weak header back from Balkestein after a Gillett long ball.

And Paterson made it three in the 87th minute after coming off the bench. The midfielder dispossessed Norris in the Ipswich midfield before driving home from the edge of the box to complete the rout.