Millbrook’S last competitive kick of the season won them the Gales HSB Hampshire Plate when captain Rich Colmer’s penalty dissected the Southampton University posts.

Brook soaked up 70 minutes of agile play and quick hands from the energetic students before their forwards unleashed waves of solid attacks which finally broke down a resilient defence.

In the dying minutes Brook’s powerful pack pounded the University line, forcing error after error until play had moved to a more central position where Colmer’s boot collected three points for a 15-13 win.

The delighted skipper said: “They were very fit and comfortable and confident flinging the ball wide.

“At the end of the day it took a bit of Millbrook grit to get the win and it was great just to be a part of it.”

Wessex showed their strength from the start on a hot day at their home ground at Wide Lane, Eastleigh. But it was Brook who crossed the line first on one of their few visits inside their opponents’ 22 in the first 40 minutes.

Mike Cronin weaved his way through the centre of the field before off-loading to Tom Collins who split the students’ remaining defence before passing to Mike Randell who touched down.

Skipper Rich Colmer stepped up to add the extra two points.

James Tate got University back in the game with an opportunist drop goal and territory was turned into more points when Andy Slade’s penalty dropped just over the bar.

Freddie Gleadow’s searing runs caused Brook problems most of the afternoon, but it was team-mate and captain James Bowker who touched down under the posts with Slade making the conversion.

The students looked good at 13-7 up at the break but Brook’s determination and a meaningful halftime team talk sparked new life into the squad.

Both sides took turns to threaten each others line – Brook coming close with some huge, battering charges from Ratu Degei and Mike McNeish and the students with some clever play and fast feet.

With the clock ticking towards the final ten minutes, captain Rich Colmer grabbed the initiative, giving the students some of their own medicine with a jinking run from the half-way line.

He was w i t h i n inches of scoring as he fed fullback Andy Hoggins – who spent ten minutes of the second half on the sidelines through a yellow card – and he touched down in the corner.

Colmer went close to adding the vital two extra points but his effort went wide.

However Brook’s forwards put in one last massive effort.

Shepherded by scrum half Alan Day, who was making his final appearance for the firsts after 25 years at the club, they made yard after yard with a rolling maul.

The students were forced to infringe and Colmer decided to kick to the corner rather than take on a tricky penalty – hoping the move would lead to a drop goal.

Wave after wave of forwards battering the students’ line ended with another penalty.

Up stepped Colmer to split the posts and put his side in front as the referee blew for time.

• See today's Daily Echo for more pictures