WINCHESTER City crashed out of the FA Cup after going down 4-2 to Maidenhead United at the York Road last night.

The second-qualifying round replay followed the original match on Saturday, when Maidenhead snatched an undeserved 1-1 in the last minute.

And what an irony that Dave Tarpey, who was sent off in the early stages of Saturday’s tie, should score the first two goals tonight to earn Maidenhead a third qualifying round trip to Blackfield & Langley on Saturday week.

Brendon Norris, City’s young Canadian goalkeeper, produced a string of fine saves to keep Maidenhead at bay in the early stages.

He kept out a stinging low shot from Tarpey and then saved well at the near post after Harry Pritchard had jinked his way through on the left.

As Maidenhead’s pressure mounted, so former Eastleigh striker Ben Wright sent a rising shot over the City bar and Norris clung onto a head-high effort from Jake Reid.

Yet it was Winchester, in only their second forage into Maidenhead territory, who snatched a 19th- minute lead.

From midfield, Adam Roberts threaded a perfect low pass into the path of hot shot Warren Bentley, who weaved his way into the area to send an ice-cool finish past the previously unemployed Carl Pentney.

It was Bentley’s 17th goal of the season.

But Maidenhead weren’t to be denied for long – Tarpey drilling an unstoppable low shot into the bottom right-hand corner for a 32nd-minute equaliser.

Moments later, Wright saw a goal-bound effort deflected away for a corner.

Two minutes before half-time and after a largely one-way opening session, Tarpey struck again to give Maidenhead a fully deserved 2-1 interval lead.

Norris, who had an inspirational game between the City posts, again denied Wright, but 12 minutes into the second period he was beaten a third time, despite making a brilliant point-blank save.

City were opened up on the left, with Wright rolling a perfect ball into the path of Reid, whose first-time shot was superbly saved by Norris – only for the ball to loop back over his stranded body and into the net.

But City refused to lie down with Roberts forcing a save from Pentney and Bentley tucking home the rebound to make it 3-2.

Dan Cann sent a header over the bar and, with ten minutes left, substitute Matt Benham almost put City level.

Despite their efforts, City were unable to force the tie into extra-time and, with effectively the last kick of the match, substitute Gavin James teed up a simple yet flattering fourth Maidenhead goal for Reid.

Winchester City: Norris, Tomasso (Fay, 89), Mills, Barron (Benham, 62), Thoroughgood, Flookes, Roberts, Hubbard, Glasspool (Dunn, 78), Bentley, Cann. Subs not used: Baxter, Miller.

Attendance: 256.