THE Masons laid the foundations for Sholing’s 2-0 Sydenhams Premier win at Bournemouth Poppies on Saturday.

Dan Mason and older brother Byron were both on target as the Boatmen cemented third spot with a comfortable victory.

With Sholing goalkeeper Ryan Gosney injured, the experienced Jamie Bray made his debut between the sticks – a year after joining the club as goalkeeping coach.

There was also the pleasant surprise of welcoming central defensive titan Pete Castle back to first-team action for the first time since January.

Dominant from the start, Sholing reaped their reward on 24 minutes when, having won a free-kick on the right, Kev Brewster put in his usual quality delivery for Dan Mason to head into the far corner.

Skipper Byron Mason doubled the lead before the break, smashing home from 15 yards after being set up by his older brother Barry.

Yet another Mason, Marlon, replaced Bradey Norton on 77 minutes, but it was Castle who came closest to lighting up a drab second half when he headed a corner inches past the upright.

Holders Sholing tomorrow (Tuesday, 7.45pm) turn their attentions to round two of the Sydenhams League Cup.

Dave Diaper’s men travel to Ringwood Town, who sit seventh in Sydenhams One after a 4-2 home win over rock-bottom Follands.

River Smith (2), Lee Vint and Lee Clark scored for Ringwood, with Charlie Cooper and Krysty Sullivan replying for the Planemakers.

*FAWLEY AFC eased their Sydenhams One worries with a 4-1 win at Totton & Eling, lifting them to 13th.

Kieran Roche (33), Declan Hartigan (55), Steve Green (80) and Lee Burch (90) did the damage for the Oilers.

Ryan Lomax struck for T&E.

Hythe & Dibden lost 2-0 at home to Whitchurch United, undone by an own goal and sub Lloyd Thompson.

MARK Barker added another two goals to his Brockenhurst tally on Saturday, but it was all in vain.

The Badgers came off second best in a pulsating finale at Cams Alders, beaten 3-2 by hosts Fareham Town in the Sydenhams Premier Division.

With the game ticking into its final minute, the Reds led 2-1 courtesy of Sammy-Lee Kessack and Jay Eames.

Barker looked to have rescued Brock a last-gasp point with his second of the game and ninth of the season, but Curt Robbins held his nerve to win it from the penalty spot in the fourth minute of stoppage time.

“It was nail-biting stuff at the end,” admitted relieved Fareham boss Pete Stiles, whose side have gone three unbeaten in the league.

Brockenhurst tomorrow (Tuesday, 7.45pm) host Bemerton Heath Harlequins who rescued a 2-2 home draw against Alresford Town.

Brace man Tom Sands put Alresford 2-0 up, but the Harlequins grittily dug out a point through Jake Rawkins and sub Jack Slade.

Alresford host Fareham on Wednesday (7.45pm).

*HAMWORTHY United were given a taste of their own medicine in the Sydenhams Premier Division on Saturday.

After pummelling Petersfield Town 9-0, the Hammers were on the receiving end of a 6-0 thumping away to Michael Birmingham’s Horndean.

Hamworthy, who had Sean Stewart sent off midway through the first half, succumbed to goals from Miles Everett (2), Tyler Moret (penalty), Jack Maloney, Mark Smith and Josh Maloney.

The Deans also had goalkeeper Tom Price to thank for saving two penalties from Nathan Walker and Dan Cann.

“We were ruthless in front of goal,” said Birmingham, who takes his side to Newport IW tomorrow (Tuesday, 7.45pm).

Hamworthy tomorrow (7.45pm) host Baffins Milton Rovers who let slip a 3-1 lead to draw 3-3 with Amesbury Town.

Joel Jackson scored twice and Blu Boam once to put the Portsmouth outfit in command, but the complexion of the game changed when Baffins boss Louis Bell made two substitutions.

Amesbury took full advantage to leave The Kendall Stadium with a point, thanks to Kieran Stephens (2) and Cameron Roach.

PORTLAND United made no mistake this time round as they beat bottom club Petersfield Town 3-1 at Love Lane.

The Rams had stunned the Islanders earlier in the season, netting an injury-time equaliser for a 2-2 Grove Corner draw.

But an own goal and a Ryan McKechnie double helped the Blues secure an away victory, despite Joe Boxall’s late consolation.

“We probably took them a little bit too easy when we played them at home,” admitted Portland boss Simon Browne.

Unimpressed with the Love Lane playing surface, Browne added: “It looked like it had had 100 games on it, not ten!”