SHOLING boss Dave Diaper roared out a warning to “never write the Boatmen off” after his side had upset the FA Vase odds at Highworth Town.

The Sydenhams Premier visitors – Vase winners at Wembley in 2014 – went into Saturday’s first round tie as underdogs against a Highworth side sitting top of the Hellenic Premier with 13 straight wins.

But second-half goals from TJ Cuthbertson, Dan Mason and Lee Wort sent Sholing marching on in challenging, windswept conditions.

The deadlock was broken five minutes into the second half when Wort chased a long ball into the corner before hooking it into the path of Cuthbertson who hit it first time from 25 yards.

Wort was involved again when Sholing made it 2-0 on 59 minutes. A defender managed to get a foot to the ball just ahead of him, but diverted it straight into the path of the deadly Dan Mason who slotted it past the advancing 'keeper.

With Highworth heads dropping, the Boatmen bagged a killer third with 15 minutes to go. Keeper Ryan Gosney’s kick fell to Barry Mason who played it first time for Wort to slot it through the keeper’s legs.

The home side’s frustration boiled over on 87 minutes when their captain Ross Adams appeared to stamp on Byron Mason’s leg.

That incensed Sholing defender Pete Castle who ran in and pushed the former Basingstoke defender in the chest and video footage shows Adams retaliating with two headbutts.

The referee had no option but to show Adams red, but decided to dismiss Castle too.

Deep into added time Callum Parsons bagged a consolation goal for Highworth.

“Great shift put in by all the boys today,” smiled Diaper. “We came into this game as underdogs, but you should never write the Boatmen off!”

Sholing’s reward is a home tie against Wellington AFC – third to bottom of the Western Premier Division - on Saturday, November 11.

*Blackfield & Langley will be back on the road to Exmouth Town in the FA Vase second round after a 2-0 triumph at Frimley Green.

A goal in each half from skipper Sam Poole saw Glenn Howes' side though.

The Watersiders will want to wipe out the memories of last December's 5-0 mauling away to the South West Peninsula League outfit Exmouth.

*Curt Robbins was the toast of Fareham Town.

The Reds looked to be heading for the FA Vase exit door when they fell 2-0 down inside 13 minutes against Ivybridge at Cams Alders.

Two-goal Scott Hamilton levelled matters, but Fareham contrived to fall behind again before Robbins took centre stage.

He equalised on 67 minutes with a deflected shot and then converted a 4-3 penalty winner 20 minutes from time after Ash Tattersall had been floored.

*Christchurch made the most of their FA Vase reprieve by booking a place in the second round.

Having won their rematch against Westbury United, Priory marched on with a 3-0 win over Sydenhams One rivals US Portsmouth – second-half goals from Jack Satterley, Chris Senior and James King taking them through.

*New signing Aurele Beya came off the bench and scored on his debut as Newport IW made light work of Bovey Tracey, 5-0, in the FA Vase. Charlie Urry (2), Emerson Tattersall and Connor Kelly were also on target.

*FA Vase new boys Baffins Milton Rovers progressed with a 1-0 home win over Radstock Town.

Joel Jackson scored the winner on the hour, anticipating a misjudged back pass and coolly rounding the ‘keeper.

*It was bad news for AFC Portchester, beaten 3-2 by Devon visitors Cullompton Rangers.

The Royals trailed 3-0 before Steve Ramsey and Garry Moody hit back, but Portchester boss Ian Saunders ruefully admitted: “We were nowhere near it.”

*Lymington Town endured a torturous afternoon at Farnham Town where they had three players sent off in a 2-0 FA Vase defeat.

Lymo were wounded by early goals from Jack Dillon and Doug Ford before Jake Long and Zak Pickett suffered first-half dismissals.

Farnham also missed two penalties and a third Lymington player, Dylan Knight, saw red in the 88th minute.

Bashley also bowed out of the competition, beaten 3-2 at home by Bridgwater Town after extra time.

Lewis Ross put Bash ahead from the penalty spot in the second half, but goals by Sam Jackson and Syd Camper plunged them into arrears.

Bridgwater held that led until the end of normal time when sub Kabba Jack helped Chris Lucas’s teasing cross over the line for 2-2.

But sub Harry Horton broke Bashley hearts early in extra time.