LOYAL clubman Barry Mason didn’t quite manage to score on his 550th appearance for Sholing, but he did the next best thing.

With Saturday’s FA Vase second round tie against Wellington AFC heading for extra time, he set up his younger brother Byron to net the Boatmen's dramatic, late 2-1 winner at the Universal Stadium.

It takes Dave Diaper's 2014 Vase winners safely through to the last 64 where they will host Sydenhams Premier rivals Blackfield & Langley on Saturday, December 2.

Man-of-the-moment Mason, who was presented with a bottle of champagne from club legends Bill Boyle MBE and Trevor Lewis before kick-off, said: “It’s a proud moment to reach a great milestone of 550 games, but it would have meant little to me if we hadn’t won.

“The team is the most important thing and I always put Sholing as a whole above any individual achievements.

“It’s a memorable day for me. Loyalty and longevity is rare in football these days, even at this level where players seem to change clubs regularly, so I’m very, very proud.

“To be able to have an impact and set up the winner for my brother is special for me and I want to thank everyone who has helped me along the way.”

The hard work of groundsman Trevor Diaper ensured the pitch passed a morning inspection, but it was heavy going for Sholing who needed a second-minute goalline clearance from Pete Castle to keep the Western Premier visitors out.

But, on 38 minutes, a corner reached the unmarked Connor Pengelly who headed Wellington into a 1-0 lead.

Barry Mason went close to levelling matters before half-time but his piledriver was acrobatically tipped over by ’keeper Tom Welch.

The Boatmen had more zip after the break and, following a prolonged spell of pressure, Owen Royl made it 1-1 with a cross-shot from wide right that floated over the ’keeper. The goal was initially disallowed, but the decision was overturned after a lengthy discussion between the officials.

Sholing laid siege to the Wellington goal but, when skipper Byron Mason headed onto the bar in the first minute of stoppage time, it looked as if an extra half-hour would be played.

But the Mason brothers had other ideas – Byron rising highest to meet Barry’s free-kick and nod it down inside the post.

“We deserved the win in the end but, credit to them, as they defended very well and frustrated us for much of the game,” said Sholing boss Dave Diaper.

“It was a disappointing goal to concede and we had words at half-time, but I was pleased with the character and spirit in the second half. They barely got out of their half.”

Sholing entertain Bush Hill tomorrow (Tuesday, 7.45pm) in the Russell Cotes Cup.