Eastleigh deserved the two points they dug out of a trip down the M27 to Gosport & Fareham.

Both sides are new to London 2 South-West this season but it was Gos, who had dropped down a level, who came out on top 32-27.

However, apart from a ten minute period in the second half, promoted club Eastleigh were always within striking distance of their opponents.

Lloyd Bennett got Eastleigh off to a good start with a penalty but that was quickly matched by Gosport’s Alex Duncombe.

The home side then struck with a couple of converted tries – Number 8 Ben Madigan and hooker Sean Shepherd both crossing the line.

Eastleigh got their first try as Adam Kidd dived over when Gos were down to 14 through a sin binning.

Gosport replied with a penalty, Eastleigh struck again when Jack Berry gathered and placed down a chip forward and Bennett added the extras.

Eastleigh then had a player yellow carded and Gosport captain Wes Dugan struck with a try, converted by Duncombe, just before the break.

Eastleigh’s driving maul got them back into the game as John Williams touched down before Gosport’s Wayne Dugan restored his side’s advantage with a try.

Eastleigh’s final try, converted by Bennett, came from Cam Steele three minutes from time and earned his side two points.

Eastleigh second row, Russell Smith, said: “We were so disappointed because it was a very winnable game for us. The tries we created were good.

“They are beatable and we look forward to playing them at home with a full strength side.”

Winchester played another Hampshire side for the second week on the trot and an improved performance gave them a well-earned victory.

New coach Gareth Martin told his side to put the disappointment of the previous weekend’s defeat at Gosport behind them – they did just that and beat visitors Andover 34-13.

The All Blacks went ahead with a penalty but Winchester were first over the line – wing Alex Bayliss taking the final pass off the back of a scrum in front of the posts.

Josh Tolan intercepted to score Winchester’s second and Tom Forster sped down the wing for their third.

Andover came back with a pushover try while Bayliss was sidelined to the sin bin but then it was the visitors’ turn to play with 14 as they had a player sent off.

Greg Sullivan brought up the bonus point try for Winchester and youngster, winger Owen Cook, went over for a try to go with his three conversions and penalty.

Andover got a late consolation try – Nick Reed touching down for his second of the day.

Winchester coach Gareth Martin said: “It is important for our progression as a club not to have a really emotional response to last week’s performance. We need our game to be very controlled, this week and every week. We showed that today against a very good side, who defended well.”