Tottonians will be pleased with the two hard-earned London 1 South points they collected at Sevenoaks – although they came mightily close to sneaking a win.

Totts were forced to defend for most of the match and cope without a specialist hooker for the majority of a very physical clash.

However they kept in touch with their Kent hosts throughout the bruising 80 minutes and could have gone home with a victory – but for a late Sevenoaks penalty.

The game was fast and furious from the start but Totts responded to some early pressure when fly half Robbie Searle drop kicked a goal to put his side on the scoreboard.

The teams cancelled each other out for almost half an hour as they both looked to dominate but Totts edged further ahead with a penalty from Searle before Sevenoaks claimed one of their own.

Injury to Tottonians’ hooker, Gareth Pym, who was making his debut, played a major part in how the rest of the game was to pan out. Without a replacement number 2, line-out throws were being pounced on by the home side, who took advantage by kicking to touch when they could.

Pym was replaced by Liam Hurst who impressed in the scrum and open play but he was only on the field for five minutes after receiving a yellow card.

Sevenoaks reaped the benefit of continual pressure and they finished the half 10-6 up after going over under the posts.

The Kent side repeated their kicking to touch tactics after the interval but Totts held firm and went back in front following a break from Faisal Mutiti and another Tottonians’ debutant, centre Eion Baxter. That play released Josh Raqio on the halfway line and he scorched up the wing to cross in the corner and Searle converted.

More Sevenoaks pressure gave them the upper hand as they scored a converted try with ten minutes remaining – but their lead did not last long.

Baxter made another break and, with Sevenoaks down to 14 following a sin binning, Searle crashed over and added the extra two points.

At 20-17 up and with four minutes left to play, Totts strayed off side and Sevenoaks slotted home the penalty to salvage a draw.

Special praise went to three Tottonians’ debutants – Pym, Baxter and Craig Durnin who shone along with Hurst who stepped up from the thirds.

Captain Nathurn Burns said: “Considering how the game went and how little ball we had I think two points is really, really good. It is a difficult place to play and we lost there last year.

“We’ve got plenty to build on and I think they will more unhappy with the draw than we are, considering they had all the ball for the majority of the game.

“At the end of the day I think the two points are fair. It was brutal and we defended for the whole match and treated every line as our tryline and they didn’t really breach us at all. It was a brilliant game and there was a lot of commitment.”